Towing Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by NHLawns, Apr 3, 2002.

1. NHLawns

NHLawns LawnSite Member
    from NH

I was wondering if a Chevy 1500 with a 4.7 liter v8 has enough
    power to comfortably pull a 6 by 12 trailer with equipment, or would a Dodge 1500 4.7 liter v-8 have any more guts in it.

Thanks for you input

Jim

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

You shouldn't have any problems. I tow a 6x12 with a Walk behind and a Dixie chopper with a 6 cyl Dodge Ram. Sometimes I wish I had a bigger engine so I could upgrade trailers but I get good Gas Milege.

Soupy

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Either will work fine.

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

They should pull 6 by 12 trailer without a problem. I have a Toyota 4 cylinders that pulls my 6 1/2' by 12' trailer. It may be a little slow over the hills but on a nice flat road it pulls pretty good. Some people pulls their trailer with their Toyotas and Chevy S-10s.

5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

No problem- For 5 years I pulled a 6x12 with 2 mowers with an S-10 4.3L I got 250,000 miles out of that thing. My dad uses it now and not a single thing wrong with it.

6. Soupy

My 6cyl Dodge ram has 360,000 miles on it now, and besides putting a used rear end in it. nothing else has failed me yet (knock on wood). The engine has not been touched unless the guy that had it before me (4 years ago) put parts on it.

Soupy

7. GAM321

GAM321 LawnSite Member

The Dodge transmission will probably go out. I owned one once for 3 years or 3 transmissions.

8. Soupy

Mine is a 5 speed, which reminds me, I had to put a new cluth on it too. about the same time the rear end went out. The used Rear End only had 16,000 miles so it should last awhile and I put a heavy duty clutch on it. This is a 96 Dodge and I have a feeling this will be the year it gets a new engine. I just have that feeling (the wood I knocked on felt a little soft :)).

Sorry about getting off topic, But I'm hopeing I'm convencing you to buy the Ram :) normally I would be a ford man, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on my Ram. Now I just hope business is good enough this year to buy a new Ford f350.

Soupy

9. kbcjlc

kbcjlc LawnSite Member

I pull 6 feet width by 18 ft lenght, double axle on 99 Dodge Ram 5.9 liter.. Pull very good however gas eat up....

Keith

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Chevy 1500 4.3v6 auto and I pull about 3500 lbs. (trailer and equip. together). It's does ok but I think my next vehicle will be a 2500 with a 350v8. I get about 12-13 miles per gallon with my present setup. My old setup was about 2000 lbs. and I pulled it with an s-10. It didn't do too bad either. Good luck.