Towing w/ F250 or F350- CDL Required?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ARP, Mar 5, 2005.

1. ARP

ARP LawnSite Bronze Member

If I was to purchase a used F250 or F350 diesel and tow with it either a drop deck equipment trailer or a dump trailer rated at 14- 16,000 lbs. (GCVWR at approx. 20- 24,000 lbs) for a skidsteer business- would I need a CDL to operate this rig?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Im not sure if the laws vary from state to state. I know in PA you need a CDL is the GVW of the truck or the truck and trailer combined are 26,001LBs or more.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Evan528 exactly correct! I would think that if your towing anything more than 10,000lbs with either of those trucks burn up something.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe that even if the combination is under 26K, if the trailer is over 10K, you need a CDL.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

6. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Operating in Mass I believe your answer is yes. I know they are very strict about it. I'm about 90% sure.

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a thread several months back that covered this topic... Basically what was decided was that each state will vary somewhat, and you need to check with your state.

I'll see if I can find it for you....

Dan

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

9. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Aren't CDL requirements the same in every state? Anyway, why such a heavy trailer for a skid steer?

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

No they arent. I was absolutly posative that they were, but I was wrong. I thought this was the reason they came up with the cdl, to make everything standard.