towing w/Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by pike, Mar 26, 2005.

1. pike

pike LawnSite Member

I currently own exmark. Price is leading me to Hustler SuperZ, especially after demo. With the heavier hydro drive, could this machine be used to tow a aerator without problems? I don't use exmarks for this.
    Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Absolutely!
    No problems, keep it light on the tongue weight and within reason on towing weight (no boats, trailers, cars..etc.etc..).
    Rolling type lawn attachments are not a problem.

Pj

3. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Nowadays I think anyone seriously considering pulling an aerator behind a Hustler hasta be playing a card shy of having a full deck. Either that or money is no concern to them. I say that 'cos one day a few years ago I once did that exact crazy thing with my Super Mini-Z. I was told it'd not harm the unit in any fashion. So with that thought in mind I go out and rent a 42" aerator... throw the necessary weight on it - in order to get a good 3" plug of soil pulled... end up having to replace the wheel motors by the time it was all said and done! So my personal advice to anyone that is even remotely thinking of this... forget it! It simply just is NOT worth the chance of really messin' up a very expensive piece of equipment.
    mb

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ok....
    How much aerating did you do?, how much weight were you pulling with the unit? was it flat ground? hills? how hard was the ground? more weight is needed to pull a 3" plug in harder ground.
    Give me some details, because I have yet to hear of a problem with a typical lawn type rolling attachment, especially with a Super Z or Super Mini Z with the hydro coolers.
    I would like to know so I can pass the info on to HQ.

Pj

5. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

PJ,
    My lawn area itself is approximated 65,000 square feet. In order to get the aerator to pull a 3" plug I had placed 250 pounds on the rental unit. So with the weight of the aerator itself, plus the additional weight, I'm not sure what the exact weight was there. Maybe in the 325 - 350 lb. range???? But with that weight, and with 8 or 9 pull-plug type hollowed spikes buried 3" in the soil, that's quite a hefty tug we're speaking of! The lawn is flat, no hills. Your typical clay-ish type soil of the Midwest region. The lawn was semi-moist, or it'd been a total waste of time to even think about getting on the lawn with an aerator. Of course it all depends on the trailer, and how much weight one puts in it, but I'd believe that a weighted-down aerator of that size pulls much harder than my 12 x 6 trailer - with a "modest" load in it... whatever "modest" is! Since that fateful time of two years ago I've rented a Ryan 30" aerator and have pulled it with a rented (20 HP) Simplicity lawn-type tractor. Not the best of circumstances, but I'm just not sold on the fact that my little Super Mini-Z can handle that size of an aerator either.
    mb

6. pike

pike LawnSite Member

Why could'nt you just offer some advice without insulting? Only an idiot would do that.

7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I noticed after pulling my aerator with the regular Z it does put a lot of strain on the Hydros. Granted this is the regular Z but after awhile you can feel the hydros weakening. My aerator weighs about 300-350Lbs with weights and all, but it has Resistance when pulling plugs. It does pretty good on flat land for about 20 minutes, but after that is when you feel the strain. Forget any type of small incline.

I aerated 3 lawns today. The key is to let the hydros cool down and not worked them for more then 20 minutes at a time. I can do most my lawns in that time, but if there is any slight incline the hydros will heat up real quick.

Last fall I got the hydros pretty hot and they were struggling real bad to finish up a lawn that I was rushing to get done because of a storm rolling in. I thought for sure I fried the hydro system, but after they cooled down they worked like normal and still do.

I just ordered a new Hustler and I am going to try to keep the aerator off of it. Dixie Chopper says they can pull 2000 pounds but noticed the same thing with my dixie chopper, so it isn't something Hustler is bad at. It's just that ZTR's are not made for serious aerating. I'm thinking of picking up a old garden tractor for aerations for now on.