towing with a 4runner

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Zito, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

Here's my story-
    I have a 6.5x10 single axle trailer that I use to carry a 36" walk behind, an ancient Snapper riding mower (30"?), a 22" self-propelled push mower, an edger, a weed eater, a backpack blower, and 2 2.5 gallon gas cans. I have been using my (business) partner's 6cyl 4runner for about a month, and felt like it was the perfect vehicle for me. So on Thursday I bought a 1998 6cyl 4runner with 55,000 miles on it. I love it! It's perfect for towing what I have. Or had. Because Saturday night, some moron ran into the trailer and destroyed everything on it. Crazy women drivers. At least she had insurance. The 4runner was not involved.
    So now I have approx $8000 to replace my stuff. Am I better off simply replacing it all, or should I get a slightly larger (12') trailer and buy a used ztr?
    I figure the 36" (a ferris) probably wieghed about 400 pounds, but I could be way off. A 54" zero turn wieghs more, but how much more? The extra 2 feet of trailer wouldn't make much difference, but will I still be able to pull the extra mower weight? I had no trouble at all with what I had before. I could pull up a 30+ degree slope with a/c on and hardly tell I was on an incline. I could easily handle an extra 500 pounds or so, but would a bigger mower outwiegh my 36" by more than that?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. npilcher

npilcher LawnSite Member

I have a 1996 toyota t100 v6. It supposidly is the 4 runner chasis and engine with a truck body. Its a 3.4 ltre. I pull a bobcat 60" ztr and walkbehind, 2 trimmers etc. It does fine on a 6x12. It has 80,000 miles on it and does exactly what I need it to do. Go for the bigger trailer!

3. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

thanks pilcher!

4. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I want to pull 6X10 or 5X10 trailer with my Toyota Tacoma 4cyl and manual 4X4 2.7 ltre
    what do you think, I want to haul zrt and walk behind with it.

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i tow a 16' trailer with 2 z's and all the associated other stuff every day with mine. gas mileage stinks, but it does the job. i really want a 3/4 ton, but until the wife goes back to work, 4runner it is.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

that 4 banger w/stick will not tow a trailer with z and wb. you need a bigger truck or a small one with 6 and auto trans. if you do tow with that truck -you will cook your clutch in short order

7. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

My friend has a 1997 4runner with 185,000 miles on it and pulls a trailer all the time. never had a single problem with it. Now if I could just find help that reliable...:rolleyes:

8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i think you should buy a new ztr and i think it will fit...not that i own, but my uncle does, has a 60'' ztr that i have fit with my 36 on my 6x10 and pulled with my s10 a number of times and the truck hurts...it also has 12'' tires on it which sucks but it got the job done...

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I used a 96 4 Runner for 4 years....pulling a 6.5x12 with a 36", a 52" Stander...and all the assoicated tools......no problem. I also pull it with 5-6 yards of mulch all the time....no problem........ I pulled it with 2+ yards of dirt.....that was a littlle hairy.... I only did that once..... The 4 runner will be fine.....just take your time......

D

10. MLawns

MLawns LawnSite Member

A54" ztr will go about 1200 lbs.