towing with a dodge dakota?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by swing blade, Apr 5, 2003.

1. swing blade

swing blade LawnSite Member

Ok I know how you guys really like to suggest the big powerstorke and cummins motors. And believe me, I would definately get one if i could afford it but...

I have been looking at a used vehicle to replace my 1988 crown victoria sedan. I need a truck. Right now I am a college student and I do not want to have a huge payment every month. I can get a ram 1500 or f-150 but it leaves me in kind of a tight spot. I have been looking at a 2000 Dodge Dakota club cab. These are really nice and I think it would do for a while. But the question is will it tow what I need. I have a 1950 plymouth sedan that I take to shows on a tandem axle steel bed trailer thats 18" long. The car weighs about 2800 lbs. I also need to haul trailers with plants, block, mulch, and lumber. I just wanted your guys opinions on what you would do and what you know the dakota can handle.

Thanks,

Milo

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a v-8 and you got trailer brakes you'll get by.I've heard those little dodges with auto have bad trans. trouble when pullin much.have you thought about a little older and a little bigger?3/4 or 1 ton??You might not be the hipp-est kid on campass with a big old longbed,but you would have something to work with.;)

3. swing blade

thanks for the advice. I am just not sure if i want to finance an older truck. It will be my daily driver too, so economy is also a good thing.

4. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I used a 93 dakota regular cab to pull a 16' trailer loaded with lawn equipment for 3 years...has the magnum v6 with a stick...if what you're looking at is an automatic, I'd pass...did a pretty good job pulling, but give yourself plenty of room for stopping...I retired it last summer, I just keep it for back-up...:blob4:

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

My buddy bought a backhoe from my dad and showed up with a dakota 3.9l 5spd and a tandem axle trailer w/brakes. Towed the thing an hour and a half home without any trouble---operating weight was like 8000lbs+.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I pulled a 5'x10' trailer with my '99 Dakota (pics on here somewhere). It was a 5.2L V8.
    Had no problem pulling or stopping.

I read an article on the net by some car and truck online magazine where they did a long term road test with a '99. They pulled a Jeep on a trailer all around the country, including alot of mountain range. They gave the Dakota a big thumbs up and said it performed great!

7. swing blade

thanks for all the advice. It sounds like it will work out. I am looking at a manual. I do want to know what hitch setup you were using with the various exapmles. was it a tag? and was it weight carrying or distributing? I doubt you could do a 5th wheel on it but thought I would check to be sure.

thanks

Milo

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Mine was a class III U-Haul hitch.

BTW, I don't know squat about trailer brakes, but it would stand to reason that for a larger, dual axle/car carrier size trailer, you would probably want trailer brakes.

9. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a 1997 dodge dakota with the magnum v6 auto trans. in it and it pulls a 16' tandam just fine:cool:

10. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I might also suggest adding an add-a-lief kit though