1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Towing With a f-........

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SharpCutLC, Dec 24, 2003.

1. SharpCutLC

SharpCutLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Was just wondering if it is possible to tow a 6 1/2 by 16 foot trailer with an 93 f-150 with beefed up suspension, with a straight 6 4.5 engine? I just ordered a new trailer and i need this truck to pull it for a while till i get my new truck (chevy 2500HD DM):blob3:
  2. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

It will do it but your truck wont last very long.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I borrowed a Ford truck with a straight 6 one time. If thats the same engine, then you won't have any problems. Ford made a straight 6 ( can't remember year or size) thats built like a brick out house. I towed a 16'er with 2 ZTR's on it without much problem. When do you get your 2500HD?
  4. SharpCutLC

SharpCutLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hey thanks for the responses and ill be getting that truck by late Feb for early March and man i cant wait!!!
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem. Id check the tow rating inside your door jam to be sure but you should be OK.
    By the way what trans does it have, auto or manual
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Are you talking about the 300 cu. inch 6? thats the only one I knew they built in 93? It will pull the trailor just fine and if you have the right gearing it will tow pretty much anything you have on it also. I had a friend thay use to tow a an old 450 ford back hoe with his, 410 gears and a 4 speed with a creeper.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The straight 6 will pull anything, its what its made for. The new v-6 that replaced it is useless, #1 cylinder doesnt get oil, and they are known for throwing a rod. But your 6 will last forever.
  8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

The straight six is a torque monster as far as gas motors go. Gas mileage is terrible but it is strong. Weak point is the tranny.
  9. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry, that 300/6 will pull it. It won't like it but it will. I towed a 7 x 16 with my 91' F-150 4.9 ltr 6 cylinder. Been doing it for months. It is a job for it but it will get you by. Put a transmission cooler on it and a 4 row radiator to keep things cool.

Good luck. You can do both of those options for less than 300 bucks.

I am replacing mine in March with a 2004 F-250.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with everyone here. The old 4.9/300 six is a great engine and was built as a truck engine. The only 6 that may have been better was Chrysler's slant 6.