1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Towing with a Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by vball2116, Jul 6, 2006.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone...I am 17 and just starting to slowly get into the lawn care business. I currently drive a 2000 Ford Ranger and the bed for it is starting to get small so im now looking into buying a trailer. Its a V6 4WD and auto transmission. I was thinking of getting either a 5X8 or 5X10 trailer. Have any of you ever had experience with towing with a Ranger because I would like to hear what you used or any problems? Thanks.

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

best little truck. you could go 16'. 6x12 is better choice.
  3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I too would go with the 6x12'. I had a 1995 Ranger and it pulled my loaded 6x10' around w/o any problems. Do a search and you will find some threads about Rangers.
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

best little truck out there. PERIOD. miniature tanks at a lesser cost if you asked me.
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I pull my trailer (i think 7x12) with a 2002 ranger. It does fine for me, but i wouldnt want to pull anything bigger with it.
  6. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think I can help since I have the same truck:waving:. Its pretty much the same situation I was in. I ended up getting a 6' X 12' American brand utility trailer with 2ft sidewalls and ramp gate. I paid $1190.00 after tax. It is a single axle. I am pulling a ZTR, 21", trimmer, edger, blower. The truck does fine in town, but you'll definetley know your pulling. Its not bad witht eh unloaded trailer, but the truck shakes alot. On the highway, it does mediocre. You'll probably get passed by alot of impatient hoes. If you drive around 56-58, the RPMs stay around 2100. You'll definetley slow down when going up inclines, but its not too bad. If you plan on getting or have a ZTR, you should get at least a 6' X 12'. I got sidewalls on mine so I could put the jungle jim's racks on easier. It looks pretty sharp. By the way, mine is the 4.0L. I hope this helps.

-Nick Howard
  7. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey guys thanks a lot for the posts. I can see now that a Ranger can really hold its own while towing. I still think i want to go with the 5X10 trailer until I get used to driving with a trailer. I am planning on putting on a Class II or Class III hitch on it during the next few weeks. What hitches do you guys have the most success with and also where did you get yours from. I really appreciate all the help that you have for me. Thanks.

8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

You will regret getting a trailer that small if you ever plan on growing your biz. I had a 92' Ranger 2wd manual with only the 3.0 and it pulled a 6x12 with a wb and other gear on there fine so yours wont have a problem. 5x10 is really small, just get the 6x12 or maybe a little bigger and you will be happier in the long run. See if anyone in your area has a good shape used hitch, I found a brand new one in my area that a guy just had sitting around and got for 30 bucks. Otherwise, just shop around your local trailer shops and find the best deal
  9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

my 2.3l will pull a 6x12 with 2 walkers on it. dont need it, too, anymore, though. the little trailers are harder to back than the big ones. youll be happier in the long run with a 6x12.
  10. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto the 6x12 over the 5x8.
    Though I use a 7x16 tandem axle I have on occasion borrowed a neighbors (used to have a 5x8) for towing my four wheeler then he sold the 5x8 and went to a 6x12 for hauling his Gravely ZTR and the 6x12 is alot nicer to tow than the 5x8.