towing with a Hino FB

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bearmtnmartin, Apr 20, 2008.

1. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I am curious to know what I can tow with my service truck. Its a 1994 Hino FB with a @200hp turbo 4 and a heavy allison auto. The dealership had no idea. They said the tranny was off a bigger truck and could handle a lot, but didn't know about the engine. I want to pull a tandem pintle trailer with a 5000# mini or compact TLB(haven't bought it yet) Any thoughts?

2. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

your title and door sticker should give you a gcvw which will tell you how much you can pull....or atleast give you a good estimate.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I have never seen any Hino's pull anything bigger than an air compressor out here, something a little more "manly" would be a better choice like a F-650/750 or a small Pete would be my choice.

4. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I know a guy here who pulls a large older ford tractor, equivelant to a case 580 everyday with a cab over Hino.

5. bearmtnmartin

I have bigger equipment, but I want to be able to go to a job with one truck instead of two. It would be an occasional thing, for short distances.

6. bearmtnmartin

I lied its 175 hp, and the GVW is 17500#. Seems like it should do it. There is no GCvw. I think thats a newer idea.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I see you are from B.C.

You can register the truck for any gvw but will the truck pull the weight. The COE Hino carrys loads better than pulling them. I would say a 10,000lb gvw trailer will be pushing the horsepower.

Braking power shouldn't be that bad usually Hino has a good exhaust brake and if you get a good brake controller for the trailer brakes it should be okay.

Climbing the hills will be slow.

I guess if you stay with in the CVSE's horsepower to gvw regulations you should be okay. I tried finding the regs but I couldn't find them.

8. bearmtnmartin

Actually, the gvw to HP are in the dark ages. I looked them up a while back, and you can pull ridiculous weight in BC with a lawnmower engine. But you hit it with your hauling vs towing comment. Thats what the dealer told me, that they are better at packing than towing. When I look at the specs, it should be no problem, but I don't want to blow my little truck up either. Its that 4 cyl that has me a bit worried. I don't know how highly stressed it is. Also, I doubt it would be 10000#. Probably closer to 8 with a trailer.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Those trailers are nice, but they sure wouldn't last long here, scrap thieves would be following it everywhere!