Towing with a Walk Behind mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Strawbridge Lawn, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Can you attach a 20-32"1 tow aerator to a 36" Walk Behind Hydro,and still operate the unit without getting (plugged).. Stand on hitch or fabricate a platform? I have many small yards with gates, and in the ongoing effort to get the most out of a small machine (and let the machine do the work) in small 2-4K sqr ft back yards this would save about 1K off of buying a separate powered W/B aerator.
    Thanks in advance

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Stone fabed a seat for a tow aerator used with a Toro walk.
    Have you looked at JRCO aerator that attaches to the front of a walkbehind?

3. I am going to make a new sulky this year with a deluxe seat using a 48" true core from:

http://www.7315.com/priceinfo.htm

If you have gates to pass you might want a 36" model.

4. Strawbridge Lawn

Stone: Thanks I intend to get a 30" tow behind core/plug aerator from them in the next 2-4 weeks. I have not seen the JRCO front mounted model yet, but will have a look at it. Considering getting a smaller 30" rider either a JD, Harmony, or Snapper which would work as both a back up mower and the tow aerator machine. It will also fit thru the darn gates. Still thinkin, and a searchin.. appreciate the help.

5. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

There is a company that makes aerator for walk-behinds,riders etc.They are Hooker areators.Instead of a plug they use high strength steel hooks.They say it is the most effecitve aerator on the market.Plus it does not leave any plugs(which some people hate)The model for the walkbehinds is designed so you can cut and areate at the same time.It also folds up neatly.I got a demo tape for free.Looks very interesting.They have a model for walkers too!I'm not shure of the address.Try a search on the site or maby someone alse knows the adress.

6. Strawbridge Lawn

Just got off the phone with JRCO and they told me they do not recommend their aerators for Walk Behinds, but they can be used for hydro units 48" or bigger. They do not offer one for any unit less than a 48" hyro. Other attachments they offer can be used by smaller walk-behinds just not the aerator. They were specifically designed for the rider ZTR's. Seems to be a market niche (or ditch) here.

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

What about renting an aerator machine as an option? Set all your aeration jobs up for one day, rent the machine, done. Of course, I have no idea what it costs to rent one. Might be worth looking into.

Jonathan E.

8. greenflag

greenflag LawnSite Member

I checked into renting a 21" aerator from a local rental co. I think it was around $65 for 24hrs. If you set up quite a few on one day you could do ok. Has anyone use one of the Hooker aerators for the hydro w/b? I was on the JRCO website last night looking at them. How well do they work? How much do they cost?

Garry

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

greenflag, I paid $1500 for my hooker aerator and $80 for the mounting bar. The mounting bar is universal for all the jrco items so it will also hold my broadcast spreader and de-thatcher. The aerator is electric and raises and lowers by that means. I have a 60" Lazer to use it with. I think they don't recommend it for less than a 48" because of some horsepower and size requirements. I can't tell you how it works because I just got it a couple months ago. I'm pretty sure it won't go through the frost.LOL