Towing with a ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aussiegreg, May 27, 2005.

1. aussiegreg

aussiegreg LawnSite Member

G'day Lawnies,

What weight can a ZTR tow??

I have a Toro Z597 27hp diesel and want to tow a water filled roller to flatten out some bumps on a lawn whilst it still is a bit moist. Do the hygros cause a problem??

The guy who makes and hires them says that he can tow it with a 14hp lawn tractor.

Thanks

Greg

2. egbaker

egbaker LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a 21HP Kawasaki air cooled engine on my Ferris. The maximum recommended trailer weight is 200 pounds(US) up a 10 degree slope. I also suspect a margin of safety is built in.

But the info has cautions about towing traction and slippery surfaces and slopes.

I suspect that the hydros made for a 27 HP high torque diesel would be quite a bit higher say 300 pounds. So calculate the water weight if you know the number of US gallons at about 8 pounds/gal.

I suspect a 3 bag leaf catcher filled with wet grass is not a light unit and you can run one all day.

I plan to tow a TracVac machine (with a motor) with mine but only a few times in the fall.

I suspect if one is careful and doesn't make a habit of this you would be OK. Maybe just compare, feel CAREFULLY (or even measure the temperature somehow), the heat of the Hydros after mowing and use that as a gauge of how much harder the hydro is working when you tow the roller.

3. egbaker

egbaker LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a 21HP Kawasaki air cooled engine on my Ferris. The maximum recommended trailer weight is 200 pounds(US) up a 10 degree slope. I also suspect a margin of safety is built in.

But the info has cautions about towing traction and slippery surfaces and slopes.

I suspect that the hydros made for a 27 HP high torque diesel would be quite a bit higher say 300 pounds. So calculate the water weight if you know the number of US gallons at about 8 pounds/gal.

A 3 bag leaf catcher filled with wet grass is not a light unit and you can run one all day.

I plan to tow a TracVac machine (with a motor) with mine but only a few times in the fall.

I suspect if one is careful and doesn't make a habit of this you would be OK. Maybe just compare, feel CAREFULLY (or even measure the temperature somehow), the heat of the Hydros after mowing and use that as a gauge of how much harder the hydro is working when you tow the roller.

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

6. egbaker

egbaker LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Captken, Aye Aye Matey. You are right.

I used to tow postal trucks out of ditches with my Kubota 17hp tractor so I figure the Ferris 21 would be pretty good towing stuff, not to mention the 27hp Toro.

However, I am a novice to ZTRs so I figure err on the safe side, I plan to keep it for a while.

(I trust you don't haul that load of trees around all the time).

Gu'day.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic