towing with a...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Dec 24, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

ok ok don't laugh but parents recently bought me a Honda Civic a while ago and believe it or not next year I am going to have to use it to tow my 44" ZTR and other small equipment around and use the trailer as a leaf box in the fall... Can't get a truck for a while. Has anybody ever done this and if so, will it work?

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i hate to burst your bubble, but i can honestly say, ive never even seen a honda civic towing a trailer before. i think your gonna be pressing your luck, and put strain on the honda by using it as a weekly tow vehicle. your best bet would be to try and trade it in, or trade for a nice little used pickup. im not saying i know for sure you cant use the honda, but im sure most people here would agree, it would be better to jump up and get a truck.

3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

check your owners manual for towing capacity

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Rode with someone pulling at 6x12 well cargo enclosed with a chrysler concord, full of equipment. Not what he uses to pull it but it just kind of happened.

5. jebbster007

jebbster007 LawnSite Member

trade it in on an older s10 4x4 4.3 if you have the work

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Local yokel (not LCO) that lives near me used to pull a 4x8 or 5x8 cheap lightweight utility trailer (I think the ones that fold up) with a big 4WD 4 wheeler on it with a Civic stick shift.
    Not that I’d recommend it, but I think you could get away with it OK for just one year as long as you drive it easy (don’t accelerate or brake fast/hard and don’t corner fast/hard). My grandpa has a ’91 Dodge Dynasty and pulls a 5x10 tilt with his Simplicity broadmoor or his golf cart (electric, heavy) on it sometimes. It does just fine but it’s a bit bigger than your Civic. Good luck and Merry Christmas/Happy new year!
    Eric

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to do it for one year for a few weeks while my truck was getting a new engine.

I towed a 7X14 trailer with A ZTR and Walk-Behind plus extras.

The car was a 1984 Lincoln Mark VII Turbo-Diesel.
    Car had air suspension, so even with the Z up front she rode level. Engine was 6-cyl inline turbo diesel BMW motor.

And she was geared at 3.73 with 4-spd auto. 3.73 is a tall gear with little car tires, probably worth 4.10-4.56 in a truck.

The car really jerked the trailer around nicely. I actually towed round-trip Virginia to Ohio and towed another car on it, averaged 28 MPG @ 80 MPH empty trailer, and 25 MPG @ 55 MPH on the return trip, with car on board.

KB

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

:eek:

Ain't gonna work man. Get a truck.

9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Dito, trade it up to a truck of some sort or you will be sitting on the side of a road somewhere with a big problem.

10. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I see two potential problems here:

1. How are you planning on stopping the car, trailer and equipment?
    2. Payload on the Civic is only 1033 lbs.

Gross Vehicle Weight - Curb Weight = Payload. The Civic only has 1033 lbs payload after subtracting the curb weight (3287) from the GVWR (4320).

Even if you don't care that you'll probably trash the vehicle very quickly you have the potential for a serious problem if you are over weight and can't stop. Insurance companies today are looking for ANY excuse to not pay off a claim.

I agree with all above - trade up to a truck.