Towing with Exmark Lazer HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tschremp, Apr 22, 2002.

1. tschremp

tschremp LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a Exmark Lazer HP (52" w/ 23 HP Kawasaki.)

I am interested in towing some things (plug aerator, utility cart, spreader etc) but the hitch has a warning label that says not to tow anything over 80 lbs as it may damage the hydros.

This doesnt make much sense to me given that it is a hydraulic transmission, which by definition is supposed to be heavy-duty..

Does anyone have thougts/comments/experience on towing with one of these?

Thanks!

2. carv@gte.net

carv@gte.net LawnSite Member

I have a Scag 61” Turf Tiger. During the fall a tow a trailer for leaf removal that I would guess weighs about 500 to 700 or more when wet leaves are picked up. When going down a hill with a loaded trailer great care must be taken, as the trailer will turn the mower. Also backing up can get interesting.

The weight restriction put on by the manufacturer reflects the above cautions and I am sure others as well. The machine will handle the weight mechanically but is unstable in handling due to steering being done by the rear wheels and the front being on casters.

Be careful and watch tight turns, the trailer tong will hit the rear of the machine and could cause costly damage.
    :blob4:

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

maybe you should go on the forum for manufacturers and ask the exmark rep. in my opinion, i think they are just covering their butt. they dont want you to overload it and then they have to cover it under warranty. they are probably just low balling the amount it can tow, so you dont void the warranty.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

These are two different things. Cant believe that they would offer a hitch kit and specify that it can only TOW 80lbs.

BUT....If that is the hitch weight rating, then 80 lbs is probably sufficient, and much more than you will ever put on it.

Read the label again and make sure what rating they are talking about.

5. tschremp

tschremp LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thanks for all of your help, here is the answer I got from Exmark rep...

The hitch is rated for 80 lbs. of "draw weight". Draw weight is a little difficult to measure. The draw weight is the amount of energy measure in lbs. to pull your attachment on a level hard surface. To measure this place your attachment on a solid flat surface and grab the tongue and pull. If it feels like you lifting around 80 lbs. your in good shape. If it feel substantially more your probably not going to want use your new Lazer HP.

Also make certain that the attachment doesn't have too much tongue weight. Often if the "draw weight" becomes excessive the drive tires will spin. Once the tires spin it reduces the "spike load" in the hydros and helps prevent damage.

Hope this helps and let us know if we can be of any further