Towing With ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravelyGuy, Oct 12, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Have you guys found that towing is hard on the hydros? I know that I have towed a roller, dethatcher, aerator, and 30 gallon sprayer with my 34Z and I have not had any problems, but it only has around 350 hours on it.

I was considering starting to use my 260Z, but I wanted to get some opinions first.

2. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Yours is probably rated to tow 400 pounds of dead weight. An aerator though would be harder to pull since the fingers plugging into the ground create more drag. When a dealer can't tell me I have called the manufacturer direct and talked to engineers and got the answer I was looking for. Back in 94 I pulled an aerator with my 1988 Wheel Horse 252-Hydro. It had a 12.5 Kaw and a rather durable hydro transaxle compared to a current same size tractor. This tractor weighed around 600 + 150 (me). I had the engine at full throttle the whole time. The wine from the hydro was a bit louder than normal so I decided after the job not to do aerating with that tractor again. If you do enough jobs maybe picking up a good used JD 318, Toro 520 Hydro or newer 5xi series or maybe an Ingersoll 4000 series tractor which has the hydraulic drive and huge 32" tall rear tires. I have 2 older Case 448s which the Ingersoll line is a continuation of. They are built like a tank. I'm sure there are some used Ariens, Simplicity, Kubota and other garden tractors that could work well for you.
  3. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark says 80lbs. Dont know if that is tongue weight or total capacity.