1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by burntcookie, Mar 7, 2006.

1. burntcookie

burntcookie LawnSite Member

Hi there, im getting into the mini business and i was wondering if i could tow a Cat 304 or a 121 kubota with a chev 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6L gas engine? The Cat weighs 9800 pds, i think the Kubota weighs around 9300 (both have cabs):weightlifter: thanks
  2. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

You can tow them individually no problem.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

It would be pushing it, I have a 2500 with the 6L gas and it barely handles our 303. No doubt it will physically pull it, but it's slow (compared to my dad's Ford Powerstroke) and the truck is so light duty that it gets thrown around a bit around corners and if the going gets a little bumpy. Can you do it? Yes. Would I suggest it long term? Absolutely not. BTW, the 304CR (or CCR) is more like 10,800 pounds with a cab.
  4. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

im going through the same thing, trying to find a truck to tow my kubota 161-3. (12,000 #s) I moved it once with my 2500HD and a 10 ton gooseneck trailer. I'm not doing that again, one because its very un-safe and two because I think its pretty illegal. so right now im trying to figure out exactly what keeps me legal.

you can read my confusing story in the truck and trailer section if you want. I'll update it once i find out.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 05' dodge 2500 cummins. I was in a pinch for a truck and got a good deal so i bought it. But now a year later i am looking at machines and wish i got atleast a 1 ton. But dodge didn't make a srw 1 ton in reg cab, i didn't want to buy a 6.0 powerjoke, and my dads chevy 2500hd with 20k miles left me stranded the week before, so i didn't want a GM.

My truck is rated for a 20k gcvw. The truck weighs 7000lbs with me in. I am looking at skids/mtls and mini excavators. I know i can't go larger than a 303 and a 246. Because once i add a tool box, headache rack, transfer tank, tools, Jose or Pablo. I am going to be pretty close to 20k. But hey, i doubt i could afford any bigger machines anyway.

I couldn't imagine towing a 304 with a gaser.
  6. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

well imagine it, I have a 05 f-350 with the v-10 and I pull regular about 15k with no problem.
  7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

when looing as hauling i thnik insted of looking at power to pull the main concern should be stopping

i move my stuff with a f250 POWERSTROKE
    and dad has a 93 f350 with reading tool body 110gallon desiel tank, and loaded down with tools. i think it weighs around 12,000 and it has the old 351 with an auto.
    and it pulls my skid not fast but it gets there. most heavy trucks will do it if you make them do it
  8. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

Yes, it will pull it. But you are crazy if you pull it without trailer brakes.
    Ideally, you would want to get a 1 ton, and the diesels do a much better job in the long run if you pull it often. Just remember to give yourself plenty of time to stop and always try to keep yourself an escape route in traffic in case you run into a situation where you might not have the distance needed to stop.
  9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

At the risk to turing this into a GM V FORD V DODGE, I will say that I have had excellent results with a GM HD trucks I have pulled up to 32,600 gross weight with K3500 D/A and it pulled very well. Yes it will stop the load as well. I got a GMC 5500 4X4 D/A last year, extremely stable towing platform. I run a 12,600 mini ex and a 9500 pound skid steer. I often pull two machines on the same trailer (granted not the two I just listed) these GM trucks pull and I have never any problems with them.
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Your prolly better off buying a cheap old medium duty and put a ramp body on it to carry the machine. You can find a old gas pot truck pretty cheap it will save you from going for a scary ride when you can't stop with a heavy machine on a trailer behind a P/U truck.