Town Government wants a Ban on Blowers!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Sep 28, 2004.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

This story was reported in major media outlets here today in NC. While I doubt it would ever pass it still is CRAZY!

Blower ban stalls in Chapel Hill
    Council agrees to study leafy issue

By ANNE BLYTHE, Staff Writer

CHAPEL HILL, NC -- Town Council member Cam Hill's proposal to outlaw the use of gas-powered leaf blowers kicked up a good bit of dust Monday night, and it could be a while before it settles.
    Professional landscapers, manufacturers of the loud lawn equipment and some weekend gardeners urged the Town Council to blow off the proposed ban.

"Raking and sweeping takes us about five times longer," Brad Williams, a Chapel Hill resident and owner of Williams Landscape Services, told the council.

"If a company does that all the time, it really does increase the number of people I would have to hire. ... It really makes a drastic economic impact on my company."

Others urged town officials to turn a deaf ear to such arguments and take a step that many communities in California and elsewhere already have, to restore a bit of peace and quiet and protect air quality.

Ultimately, the council unanimously agreed Monday to forward Hill's petition to town staff for more study.

"This is important to people in this community, young people who are really concerned about air quality," said Jane Hudson, co-chairwoman of the Student Environmental Action Coalition at UNC-Chapel Hill.

As is typical procedure, the town manager and others will research the effects of such a ban and report back to the council. No date was set for when the officials would take up the topic again.

"I think it's something the community should talk about," Hill said.

The arguments for and against the proposal mirrored those across the country.

A representative of ECHO, one of the leading producers of gas-powered blowers, told the council that manufacturers were developing new models that would be quieter and cut emissions drastically. New Environmental Protection Agency standards go into effect next year, they said.

Several critics of a ban said that the town and university routinely use blowers for cleanup and landscaping.

"I'm sure they use that for Kenan Stadium," said Sam Jordan, general manager of MidAtlantic Steel in Hillsborough, which manufactures leaf blowers. "I'm sure that it would be difficult to clean that with a broom."

That people use the blowers as brooms is troubling to some.

Diana Steele, a Chapel Hill resident who likes to walk, says she often encounters the noisy machines, particularly when she is close to the married-student housing on the southern edge of campus.

"The idea of eight or 10 university workers with leaf blowers chasing a single leaf across Odum Village offends me," Steele said.

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

chances are, Ms. Steele is not a Rocket Scientist at the university :rolleyes:

Her stupidity offends me.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

They tried to do something similar here about 7-8 years ago. Fortunately, common sense prevailed and we were able to compromise. We are restricted to work 8-7 weekdays and 9-5 on weekends. All things considered, it could have been much worse. I hope this works out for you.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Stranger things have been passed in other counties. It would take a lot longer without the use of a blower.

Gravely_Man

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If they do not call Town Hall and insist on no leaf blower ban.

6. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 LawnSite Member

I could not live without my Shindaiwa EB 630. Not only do I use it to blow off my driveway and sidewalks, but I also use it to blow off my 3/4 ton chevy after I wash it. It saves a bunch of time...

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Its just some city councilman who wants to think hes the president, dont worry it wont pass. And even if it does, they have to see you doing it, just blow fast. Isnt Chapel Hill where UNC is? Why not worry about drunken college kids.

8. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

The one thing that got my town to sit up and get real on this issue is the city maintenance staff reported that they would need an extra -x- million dollars per yr to do thier job if they couldnt use blowers. Suddenly instead of thinking about thier mornings at home in the suburbs they were thinking about property taxes and it was axed.

9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Not only that but they should also consider that the average lawn account will have to be increased accordingly to compensate for the extra time for clean-ups. Once Doug and Wendy Whiner get done paying their increased property taxes they have to turn around and pay an extra $500/yr for the lawn company to use brooms. Then they will also have to pay the increased tuition for their kids to attend college because of the extra maintenance hours involved when 10 guys are chasing one leaf with brooms instead of blowers. :realmad: What a dumb BEOTCH!!! Maybe they should just raise the tuition of Diana Steele to compensate for her being so ignorant. :gunsfirin

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's Chapel Hell for you, home of the most liberal school in NC.

You can tell I go to State. :cool2: :gunsfirin