Town hall/sports complex bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnut101, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I may be putting a bid in for a complex. We figured that it has about 14 acres to mow. It's all open, but there is quite a bit of trimming around fences (basball fields). I'd say like 2-3 hours worth of trimming. I'm thinking about taking a trimmer with me to walk around the fences and time how long it would take to trim around one of the fields. I'm thinking if they want weekly trimming, this could run $600-800/cut. This comes out to about $40 per acre, plus about $100 for trimming. Does this sound a little too high? I would usually try to get about $60/acre, but this is all together, so I know I will have to come down some. It's a municipal bid, so I'm gonna see if I can get some info on it tomorrow. Do any of you guys have any advice on how to bid this big of a job accurately? This will be my first one!

2. Lawnut101

Nobody has any advice? Not even negative? lol

3. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 7 ball diamond complex I do. We also drag the infields. It's 14.5 acres. We Roundup the fences, so there is very little trimming.

Taking out the cost of dragging the infields, we are getting 34 per acre.

We cut it 14 times. When the season is over, the township comes in and cuts it with the big highway mowers.

4. Lawnut101

Thanks for the help. Would you charge more if you had to do trimming? It didn't look like they wanted roundup used, I think they want it trimmed. We would be mowing this for the whole season, about 25-30 cuts. I don't think we would have to drag the infields, but that's what I'm going to find out about today. Wish me luck, and thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

5. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Well, now that I have had a few, I noticed you only have a walk behind mower. I do mine with two Bad Boy 60" riders. Each one cuts almost 3 acres an hour. Your 48" walk behind isn't even close to that.

Look at this productivity chart from Scag: http://www.scag.com/productivity.html

Almost all brands are close to these specs. Your 40.00 an acre is about right for you, because it will take you an hour to cut an acre and a half. The trimming you get could get done in an hour and a half. A 60" rider can do it in half the time.

These big jobs look good because of the amount of money, but are hard to secure with the wrong equipment.

Good luck with your bid, you may get it.

6. Lawnut101

Haha... lol. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm buying a Bobcat ZTR. I'm not that crazy! lol. We figured that we would have to come down to around $25/acre if we wanted a shot at the bid. The guys last year did it for just a little more than $26. We did some figuring and I'd still be making money on this, especially because I have low overhead. We just have to figure out how much I should bid, so that I can get the job. Thanks for your help.

Brant

7. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

This might be of some help to you involving your bid...

Do you live and pay taxes in the same municipality(city)?
    If not do you know someone that does?

The reason I ask is that typically these types of bids usually go to the lowest bid. Not always but most of the time. If you or someone you know lives or even pays taxes in the same city then you as a taxpayer are given the right to know what they have paid for this service in the past, if they have contracted out before.

This helped me in the past in my area, didn't get the job but it gave me insight to what others were charging.

8. Lawnut101

Yeah, I actually thought of this. I called the town clerk lady and she's going to show me their bid sheet from last year on Friday. So that should help me out. And yes it goes to the lowest bidder, so I'll have to lowball it (just kidding) if I want the job. Thanks for the advice.

9. Lawnut101

Anyone have anything else before I submit my bid? You can pm me if you don't feel like posting here.

10. Lawnut101

I'm going to be submitting my bid for $350/cut. Wish me luck! :waving: