Town Homes....Any Good Advice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, Oct 16, 2003.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Today I was awarded a full maintenance contract for a Homeowners Association that consist of all garden homes. I would like some advice from anyone that has experience dealing with H. Associations.

I would also like some information on record keeping for an H. Association. I was thinking a spreadsheet with the time, dates, work performed, and so on.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated........Thanks

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Well ... have one or at the most, two people that you deal with. Any more and it will be a nightmare. Be prepared for seemingly unreasonable requests. BUT ... on the bright side, if you can meet some of those requests (go the extra mile) then you will sometimes win you a staunch supporter (something very useful when dealing with HOA's). And last, but most important:

STAY OUT OF THEIR POLITICS AND DO NOT CHOOSE SIDES FOR ANY REASON!!

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Well i feel about the same way, my advice is to pack up anything you cna in the next 15 minutes and get the %%%#^&@ out of Alabama, or just listen to what csra said.

4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get me going on bloody town houses.

Advice?........STAY AWAY!!!

I've just had to many bad expreiances with town houses.

The biggi is that you've already discused the scope of work with the Prop Manager and then you'll have all the residents saying stuff like......"That mower of yours is too big for my lawn" or "don't blow around my beds" or "how come you don't fertilize every visit. lol) this is just the tip of the ice berg for stupid comments/requests that residents have flung me and the BS goes on and on and you talk to the prop Manager about it and it goes on and on.
    It's not even like it was just one bad one, I've had three and there all the same.................All gone now too!
    The issue is the you are doing work for a group as a whole and the indervidules in this "group" all want something different.
    REAL PITA STUFF.

But mabey your a better people person than me??
    I was guna snap someone if they asked me to fert their turf 2 weeks arfter the last one once more.

This is just me though.................It might end up being one of the best accounts you have?????

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Run Away real FAST ;)

6. ManleyLawn

ManleyLawn LawnSite Member

i have had only a few complaints this year from my clients but 2/3 of the complaints came from townhomes. this lady has roughly 100 sq. ft. of grass i think i charge her 5 dollas a cut and she asked if i would come down on the price go figure. i couldn't imagine doing anymore than a few to many people i dunno

7. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

The way to handle that is to have one contact person. Have the contract set up so that if people have a problem to take it to the property manager or whoever and then deal with one individual. If they wont do this, run dont walk away.

8. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

Same experiences I have had mentioned above. Stand firm. If you have that one pesky "old" person, simply stand firm, sound intelligent and don't back down. We will have people jump all over us about dumb crap. As long as we don't back down they tend to shut up and eventually go away and not say a word.

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I once had a homeowners group that had a few dumb requests. Every time one of the homeowners asked for something dumb or impossible I told him/her that I can't do any work that the property manager does not specify and that they should take their requests to him/her. Anything that is not specified in the contract will cost the HOA more, which means the individual homeowners will have to pay more for lawn care fees. After A few requests to the property manager the homeowners usually back down when confronted with higher association fees. This is one of the few times that "passing the buck" can work in your favor.

10. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

I have one 80 unit townhouse. I like it .. lots of extra work over and above the contract. I deal with only two peopel there. When one of the other residents talks to me or asks for something. I am just very polite and ask them to talk too the maint manager and if he agrees i would be glad to do it... If they complain , I listen then very diplomaticaly dont get involved.
    Its a bit political in these townhouses. There are always complainers no matter what you do. But the money is good. and it beats driveing to 80 other homes...
    Hope this helps