Town House bidding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lynden-Jeff, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I do very little commercial work and have never done any town houses. Ive been told by many they are a PIA because you have in my case 77 bosses since its 77 town houses.

Anyways I am bidding on 77 town houses, 22 in one location and 55 in another. Debris pickup, cut and trim, mild cleanup from pine trees is to be included. I have to cut the backyards, they are maybe 10X10 but are all enclose so its a little time consuming. For the 22 I figure $400 a cut and the 55 I was thinking $750-850 a cut. I'm also figuring 4 people a long day to do it all. Also this is a COOP which I know is probably bad. I think I saw atleast 5 or 10 g-units while I was there. What I'm basically asking is am I in the ball park? High/low? Anything I'm missing? Also I've attached 2 Aeriel photos for you guys to get an idea.

Cheers
    Jeff

2. Lynden-Jeff

22 complex

22town.jpg

3. Lynden-Jeff

55 Town home complex

55town.jpg

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I cut a 23 town house complex about 1/5 the size for $200 per cut. It takes 40 mins to cut edge and blow. No enclosed areas (YET). I would say you are a tad low due to being enclosed and that is soooooooooooo time consuming and in MOST cases you will need to bring the mower thru the garage which means you will probably need to LIFT the mower up some stairs (also time consuming and tiring). IF you have to do the above mentioned, your price will need to be adjusted in your favor.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

You might be able to see it in the second pic but there is gates on every back yard, still a PIA, especially because they got garbage all over the freakin place. Thanks for the input.

Cheers

6. Liquidfast

from Ontario

In the second pic, if you were to separate the last units on the far right side, that would be the equivalent of what I cut. Again, there are no backyard fences. If you bid it, and you break it down to say "We charge $32 per unit per month, it appears "cheaper" to the hoa. That is a good size property for you. I googled the address and know it well. If you can pick up a couple around that area, you would have struck gold to land it.

Good luck.

7. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

I'm thinking 45$ per unit per month. That's 11.25 per cut. There is a TON of garbage and crap all over the place, I can see a day just to get the place in shape for cutting. $45 per unit per month works out to 850 per cut of both places, which I should be able to do if I ran 3 people. My costs $110 per person so $330 including my self and gas is running about $70 for the day. Doesn't seem to bad, + I make 15% on the fert and squirt and probably a fall cleanup.

Cheers
    Jeff

8. Liquidfast

from Ontario

Maybe its just me but why are you having to cut the backyards? I know with the ones I have and the ones I have bid on, if the backyards were enclosed, we didn't have to cut them. In fact, we could bid them separately and make more $$$$. 77 bosses is true. You will have some that want it higher, shorter, say you weren't there etc. but just be nice and all should be good.

With our town houses, we do the laneway, the mailbox area and shovel the walkways. We send out a notice in the fall that if customers want their driveways done, it will cost $45 per month. It works out to an extra $900 per month for us on top of the $850 per month for the laneway, box area etc.

Try to keep the fert separate, you can make a mint on that one alone.

9. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

Im pretty sure she said to do them, I will include it in the quote and if she calls me back and says why is that on there I will just say I misunderstood her. I may plow but its not in the contract at the moment. The backyards is the biggest PIA of the entire job. The 32 should come in handy for that though.

Cheers and thanks again.
    Jeff

10. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I read about how much trouble you cutter boys have with getting home owners to pick up after their dogs... can't imagine how you can get 77 of them to do it at the same time :D

somedays I'm glad that I'm just a water boy