townhouse lawns

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by A+ Lawncare, Aug 23, 2005.

1. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys, its me again... i haven't posted for sometime now, but i have been coming back to the forum every couple weeks just to check up on what i've been missing...

does any1 focus in on cutting townhouse lawns?

i'm thinkin, next season when i get my act back together i'll focus in on town house lawns... i went to 1 of my dad's rental prop. (town house) the other day & got an idea of starting up a gig where i cut all of the community yards for say $7-10 a week... these yards are about 12x20 so i figured if i can get like 10 in a row, as these town houses are connected together & and their 10 on each side... so i figure if i make long swats of cuts going down every1 yard @ once as if it was just 1 yard, it would be pretty quick.... i could bag their yards for $10 a week & mulch em for $7 a week....

what do you guys think?

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

it woudl have to depend on your route density. if you had to do one or two in a complex and then move to another complex you'd be loosingmoney. Most town houses in my neck of the woods are all fences so the best you coudl do was be a 21 out back and maybe a string trimmer in the front.

3. A+ Lawncare

the townhouses i've looked @ has a fenced back yard but there's no grass in the back, just a patio... so the front is all i'de be cutting & there's no fence or gate to worry about.

4. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

imo, it's not worth your time to do townhouses beccause they are so small that you can't charge enough. Even if you have a clump of ten or so, it's much more profitable and easier to do larger properties.

5. A+ Lawncare

idk if i could agree on that stutter, b/c say there's a cluster of 10 & each 1 takes say 5 mins thats 50 mins to do all 10 in an ideal situation....

by charging $5-7 you can still make your #'s work if you work steadily & the only problem would be not the efficiency so much as finding all your customers side by side. but who wouldn't want their lawn cut for $30 bucks a month?

6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I make the most per hour on townhomes. Rates are from $10-15. They can average anywhere from 5-11 minutes

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt recommend doing it. You're gonna have more customers to worry about and more headaches. It's better to get say some property where you an spend like 2-3 hours a week on andcharge for your time. We have several of these and we avwerage between 110-130 an hour with two guys.

8. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

"I want my lawn cut the other way (not one long row)" -- There goes the idea of 10 in a row, or if you get say every other one, it would be a pain to have to skip over them. Remember that you still have to do monthly invoices for $28 a month. Just doesnt seem worth the hassel to me.