towns with curbside pickup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 28, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

as i said, we can just blow the leaves to the curb, and the town sucks them up. my question is: you spend the time to do a thorough cleanup, pile them at the street. you are now done for the year at this property. but the towns leaf pickup truck doesn't come for a week. you send a bill, the client refuses to pay it, because the wind blew the leaves back onto the property. do you#1- demand payment, period, even though this will cost you the client? #2- go back, clean the leaves AGAIN, in order to stay on good terms , get paid, and retain client. #3- don't go back, don't demand payment, a few hundred isn't worth the hassle.
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

the town didnt pick up the leaves, i charged to do the jobs again...not my fault, i told one lady she should call the town and complain....they askd to have it done by pick up date, it was, the rest is up to the town
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Did you create the wind that blew them back? NOO, not your fault, not your problem, you did your work, you earned your money, if they want it done again, they can pay again.
  4. cuttinjoe

cuttinjoe LawnSite Member

We do curbside leaf removal for 2 towns and the announcement goes in the paper 1 week before we start. Each section of town has a set day for pick up. Before the ad even runs LCO's are out getting leafs to the curb. The big company in town collects them in their Walker and dumps them on the curb, after a good dew or a bit of rain they are not blowing anywhere. But there a b!tch to suck up. A couple of cash guys rake them to the curb but I don't know what they do when they blow back. If they had any sense they'd wait till a day or 2 before pick up to rake them out. All the lawns in town we cut don't get leaf removal, we cut for the last time the 2nd week in Oct. and take care of whats left of the leaves in the spring.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Do you ever go to those tractor trailer tool-load sales at your local VFW that sell those 6 x 8 tarps for a buck? Probably not cause you don't know how to use tools, but anyhow.
    You use a couple of those dollar tarps to cover the leaves at the curbside. Charge the customer for the tarps, whatever. Next time you drive by, stop and pick up the tarps. In our area, the road crew just folds up the tarp and sets it on the side so we can take it back. Your problem is solved, leaves won't blow.
  6. bobbygedd

from NJ

then the neighborhhod kids are playing hide n seek, one climbs under the tarp to hide, and gets suffocated and dies. thought of that one majortom, but i thought with my head instead of my rear end
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not responsible for acts of God and/or what Mother Nature tosses your way after I am finished. Pay me...NEXT!
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The same can be said for a large pile of leaves at the curbside. Kids hide under them, car drives by and accidentially one wheel is in the leaves, and the kid gets run over. Most times we don't do curbside leaves, only one small town on our routes will pick them up at the curb.
  9. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to attempt to form an air tight seal between the tarp and the road? I sure of all people, you can BobbyG. By the way, I'm still waiting on my fall cleanup.
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

yea and they could choke on thier frosted flakes too. but common sense is common sense, kids and plastic don't belong together.