Toxic Insecticides for earthworms?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sciturfman, Jan 22, 2009.

1. sciturfman

sciturfman LawnSite Member
    from Zone 9

Does anybody know what insecticides are toxic to earthworms? I am having a problem in a couple of customers lawns with too many earthworms! They are mostly in the wetter parts of the lawn and the grass is thin. I have done a soap drench and they come up by the dozens! I am certified and have been for 15 years but I haven't dealt with this before. Any ideas?

2. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Is standing water or poor drainage the problem?

3. sciturfman

sciturfman LawnSite Member
    from Zone 9

No, there is no water standing and actually one of the lawns has sandy soil!

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i think killing earthworms is illegal and not a target pest. may be wrong, but seems like i remember this topic somewhere. having too many i think is like imposible. the more the better. they are beneficial and they take much caution to make sure the products we use are not toxic to them. the problem i think lies somewhere else.

5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

If a product is not labeled for earthworms it would be illegal to spray with it to kill them.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing I can suggest is improving the drainage and aeration of the soil. The reason why they are active at the surface is excessive water below the surface. I sometimes deal with areas that are dry at the top, but almost a river underneath. Earthworms are a problem in that case. Do a search on this subject.

7. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

I have used Cabaryl(Sevin) with good results in the past. I can't seem to find it anywhere now though. I don't think there are any insecticides that are labeled for earthworm control.

8. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Check out this University of Kentucky data on pesticide toxicity on earthworms.

If the link does not work Google u of Kentucky, Dept of Entomology, fact sheet "ENTFACT-402"

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/entfactpdf/ef402.pdf

9. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Important: you must select

"Download the printable version" when viewing the ENTFACT-402,

this will give you a list of pesticides and their toxicity.

10. jonathan ducote

jonathan ducote LawnSite Member

Thiophanatel-methy works well. I know it is a labeled fungicide. However, when Clearys came out, it was a labeled insecticide. Once the product started showing great results with disease control, they changed the label to make more profitt$$$. If you find an orginal label for this product some 25 years ago, you will see where earthworms were on the label.