Toyota 3.4 tacoma pulling capability question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by moremow, Oct 7, 2007.

1. moremow

moremow LawnSite Member
    from roanoke

Planning on getting a 6x12 open trailer. Currently have a 5x10 and am pulling it and my gravely 17hp walkbehind with blower ,trimmer etc. with a 2.7 liter toyota tacoma 4x4. In getting the 6x12 I will eventually plan to be hauling a 52" ztr and the walkbehind as well. I trust the toyota quality and durability and am an old hand in using a 5 speed transmission in downshifting and not riding the brakes too much with what I am pulling now using my 2.7 liter. Has anyone here used a Taco with the 3.4 to pull a ztr and walkbehind and if so is it tremendously over loaded or will it pull it o.k. I know the key to get it to come to a stop is crucial as well. I had thought of a Ford 5.4 liter or a comparable GM product and of course if I could pick up Dodge early 90's diesel or the same in a ford f 250 4x4 diesel I would do so. However in the long run if some of you folks have used a taco in this type of capacity let me know. I suppose i could go buy the trailer put my walkbehind on it and then go pick up a Ztr to demo and of course go by one of the dealers and demo the Taco 3.4 and see how it does. I know that something with a 4.0 or larger would handle it all right especially the Tacos with the new upper horsepower. I just want that used truck that I purchase to be able to be dependable when I go out and crank it up to go do my accounts. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Moremow
  2. Rthomas1

Rthomas1 LawnSite Member
    from unknown

All i know is that toyota makes great truckds. I just bought a 2007 tundra double cab 5.7 liter. Its a great truck. I test drove a tocoma and it was a great truck to. I highly recomend it. The toyata pulling is said to be best in its class. Im sure it could pull ur trailor
  3. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Google your subject title and you'll find similar info, like this ..

The optional 3.4-liter V6 is smoother, quieter, more powerful and more refined than the four-cylinder engines. It's the best choice for those who take long trips, pull trailers, go off road or just prefer more power. A V6 Tacoma with four-wheel drive and an off-road package can tackle the most challenging terrain. A V6 Tacoma with two-wheel drive and an automatic can pull a 5000-pound trailer and won't spill as much coffee on the way to work. Automatic transmissions and extended cabs reduce payload, but not towing capacities. Maximum payload available is 1,859 pounds in a 4WD regular cab with five-speed manual.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I used to pull everything with a 97 2.7? Tacoma 4x4 and it did fine. Until I had to stop unexpectedly. Knocked out a tail light of a dude in a rough neighborhood. Well there's a lot more to the story but I think just making sure you can stop is the big thing. Those little trucks can pull decently. I wouldn't want to go cross country with a smaller truck.
  5. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I my equipment (32" walk behind 52" sufer on a 5X10 trailer) with a 98 toyota 4 runner with a 3.4 liter and have had no problems. I do however have to watch my breaking so I don't run into someone but thats just cause I like to be safe. Just check your owners manual and make sure your not over your weight limit by buying a bigger trailer.
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I use to pull my 6.5x12 with a 3.4l in a 4 Runner.........I had my 52" Stander, 36" Toro. 21", trimmers, edgers, blower etc, no problems............

I also plowed snow with it and it was great.....
  7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello 1/ do not exceed max tow capacity
    2/do not exceed max tow ball weight down force

80 percent of the above will provide decent towing conditions

From experience with japanese small trucks the vehicle will struggle with towing over 2200lbs braking and performance etc

EG In OZ it is mandatory to have
    compression coupling / override brakes fitted to one axle for weights over 1650lbs to 4400lbs
    Over 4400lbs - brakes all wheels air or electric with break away system

NB if towing weight becomes close to or exceeds vehicle weight brakes then should be a prority also.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the 3.4 will tow just fine. i have a 03 tundra 3.4 and it out tows my 93 chevy 305. my t100 2.7 also pulls this trailer ok-5x10 with toro 44zmaster
  9. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you get trailer brakes. They're a real life saver, and a truck saver.
  10. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

It will pull just fine, like Tomo and SiteSolutions said, get trailer brakes to help