1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toyota T-100 rear end

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Spratz86, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Spratz86

Spratz86 LawnSite Member

Bad news for the holidays - differential going bad. This is a two-wheel drive '96 with 176k miles on it and in my opinion shouldn't have crapped out. I've pulled boats, hauled mulch, crushed brick and rock with it and it's always been a great truck.

Question for you mechanics - repair shop says they can put a USED differential in it for $1200. Is that about the right price? Should I put it in, then sell the truck because it's now somehow compromised, or fix it and keep on driving? My preference is to keep the truck until the wheels fall off (it's paid for), but it seems to me that when something like this happens, another major problem is just waiting in the wings.
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The T-100 was toyotas first attempt at a 1/2 ton. I've heard that had a lot of problems with it.

That said, $1200 is really high for a used diff. What is going wrong with it, they aren't very complex devices.

You could get a used rear axle for that price.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

We have a good junk yard about 100 miles from me that sells Nissan and Toyota rear ends for around 250, 1200 is much to high, in my area anyway. Also have you ever had the head gasket recall done? Toyota had a LOT of problems with the V6 in The T100 and several of their other vehicles.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is no way I would spend that kind of money for a used assembly, How would you know it wouldn't go out 6 or so months down the road.
    As Jon asked what is going bad in yours ? What is it doing ? Just a couple years ago I replaced pinion, carrier and axle bearings in my 3/4 ton Dodge conversion van, It had a whine in it so I replaced all the bearings for under 200.00.
    Again as Jon said they are not very complex but one must pay attention and get the backlash adjusted to factory spec. for a nice quiet trouble free rebuild.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the main problem with the t100 is it a rare truck -it did not sell well and used parts are bound to be expencive and very hard to find. 1200 is high but just finding a used rearend for that truck will be very hard. i would fix it and keep driving it. these are great trucks even if they didnt sell well.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with Rob, which being a mechanic, It its just a whine or something, It will be alot simpler to fix then to wait till it just quits alltogether. If it is still driveable maybe just replace the bearings and keep driving
  7. mr.we.mow.grass

mr.we.mow.grass LawnSite Member

guy, I had to put 2 rear-ends in my 1998 chevy Z71, one was all new parts put in the housing and labor $1400 "errr" lasted 7 months or 4000 miles,#2 was a $600 junkyard whole rear-end i put in myself in less then 2 hours 3 years ago and still running.
    call the junkyards to see what they have, most give 6 month warranty
    hope this helps
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Evidently something wasn't done right on your rebuild, I'm clicking 32,000 on mine and no problems.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe you could measure your entire rear axle, run out to the junkyard with the specs, and try to find a complete rear axle w/ differential from a different vehicle. If this truck is really that "rare" then a conversion is in order! Less the manufacturer of that rear end is still around and can sell you new bearings/gears and what not. JMO
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

what makes the t100 so rare is that it was developed for the us market and no where else . it also is a completly different desighn from any other toyota product and shares few if ant other parts with other models. this makes used parts very hard to come by .truck was only made 93-98 and very few sold. toyota makes almost all their own parts so you cant just go to the maker of the rear end cause its toyota. this is the secret as to why toyotas are so good .they make most of the parts themselfs and can be shure of getting the higest quality components this way.