Toyota Tacoma 4x4 is good to run lawn care business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by guven, May 15, 2006.

1. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I was wondering , I have Pay off 2004 tacoma and I run my business with it. I want to buy chevy 2500 , but most of time I was thinking I do not need big truck , because I have 45 lawns to mow. I Use 33'' billy goat mower and push mower. I have 48''bobcat but I could not use it because I do not have trailer, do I have to buy trailer
    do I have to buy bigger truck. I want to run the business forever .
    please give me some info , I came the great country in 2003 and I am legal and I have insurance ......
    thanks again
  2. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

Buy a trailer for the Tacoma, doesnt have to be big, just big enough for the Bobcat. The Tacoma will pull that no problem. When the business expands, then get your 2500HD. Thats my opinion.
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Toyota's will last longer and be more trouble free then any north American truck hands down. However they also no where near match the power of the north american counter parts. I agree with rusty that you should get a trailer. Is it a V6 or V8? Even a V6 would work for a 6 by 12 it just wont be as powerful as a 2500.

4. guven

guven LawnSite Member

thanks jeff, my tacoma is 4 cylinders. it is not you think it is good to haul 5x10 trailer.
    thanks for your time
  5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm. I don't know much about a 4 cylinder but I would assume it would pull a 5 by 10 if it wasn't loaded to bad. Is it manual or automatic?

6. guven

guven LawnSite Member

Hi Jeff,
    it is manuel
  7. velocicaur

velocicaur LawnSite Member

It will work fine. The mower and the small trailer do not weigh very much at all. Plus, it will be relatively cheap to drive. If its an auto, just keep it out of overdrive and go to town!
  8. cdjohnson7

cdjohnson7 LawnSite Member

Manual just try to keep in 4th gear as fifth is your over drive
  9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree completely. it is what i used for 2 years before i bought my 4-runner. only got the 4-runner because my family grew. wish i still had the tacoma. i have actually pulled a 16' trailer with it, it was not fast, but it got the job done.:weightlifter:
  10. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

I think you need a small 5x8 trailer,, that will work for your stuff,, oh and more English lessons. I do admire you for coming here and starting up a biz,, it's what America is all about. Al least you are trying to learn and speak OUR langauge. as most of the Mexicans seem to think there county sucks so bad they leave it and come Here. but insist on still talking there langauge and trying to make US like Mexico.. Which sucks cause thats why they left!