Toyota Trucks for towing.....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SouthernYankee, Nov 29, 2004.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I already have a 3500 chevy dump, but I hate mowing out of it. I have had many toyota trucks and I am thinking about getting a toyota v6 tacoma to pull a 12' enclosed trailer with a ztr and maybe a 48' fixed deck.

I know the new toyotas have 245hp, but I am going to get a used one with probally 220hp. Is that enough truck to pull a trailer or do I need a tundra v6 or v8?

Any advice on toyotas and towing would be helpful. thanks SY

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Power is always nice. I have pulled my 7x18 with my dad's 5.2 318 V8 and could have used more power. I have a 5.9 360 and still could use more! I would think that V6 would be scary slow. The other thing you need to think about is stopping! Most anything will pull anything but stopping is the key.

3. Lovbcstiller

Lovbcstiller LawnSite Member

I probley wan't do it with that kind of truck. The tocoma is not heavy enought to pull that kind of trailer. The other post is right about stopping. My v6 full size chevy has enough weight to it. I have a 83"x16'trailer and that does push a little with the electric brakes on. if you do go with make sure you get electric brakes on the trailer. It will help stopping it.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Torque is what will pull the trailer, where are those numbers at?

Secondly, stopping power and the ability to not have the trailer control the truck. I would imagine it will be fine, but just have to know the limits. Mirrors might not be quite as useful as a full size trucks would be, since the truck is a little narrower it might be harder to see around it.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Plenty of power. My Mitsubishi-Fuso has 145 HP and I run around at 14,000 lbs all day long without breaking a sweat.

RandyScott has a good point...torque. If you are talking about the 4.5 or 4.7 liter V8 motors, you have enough power.

What is the axle ratio? Manual or automatic? If you are manual trans, you would want like a 4.56:1 gear, automatic at least 4.10:1 for a heavy trailer.

You may want to stiffen up the rear suspension and run a smaller tire, no big "balloon" tires.

Trans cooler if automatic is a must!!!

Brakes: the trailer will need to have properly functioning electric brakes, preferably on both axles, with a good brake control in the truck.

Keep your load as light as possible and you will be fine.

You will possibly need to run 93 octane gas if you hear the engine ping under heavy load.

KB

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have a LCO neighbor who used to have a v6 Tacoma (prerunner) pulling his open 12' trailer, but since he got a Ferris Ztr, and a 48" Ferris WB, and a new tandem axle trailer, he traded in his Tacoma for an F 250, so I think this should answer your question...
    I would not use a compact pickup to tow a Z and a WB same time on an enclosed trailer.
    You will hurt your Tacoma tranny, engine, and of course brakes within 1 year of "daily" mowing accounts.

7. KLLawn

KLLawn LawnSite Member

Hey! This is my first post y'all! I appreciate the excellent info that is posted on Lawnsite. So, you want to pull a trailer with a Toyota? SouthernYankee? After reading all of the other responses, I agree with most of 'em.
    Joplinmower is right about stopping. Man! A large trailer behind a Tacoma is downright illegal! If the trailer starts to control the rig (mentioned by RandyScott) -Wipeout! Forget about the V6. Even though the V6 is solid as a rock ( I have the V6 in my 4Runner, and had it in my old T-100) the perfomance specs were substandard. The tranny is bulletproof but in towing mode it doesn;t EVEN compare to a fullsize 1/2 Ton. My T-100 tranny would HUNT through the gears like crazy, towing my 3,000 lb. trailer. I had a 2000 Tundra, and this is a big plus in the TORQUE category (tranny still hunts a bit , even with the V8). I now have the 2004 Toyota Tundra DOUBLECAB and this is a big plus, because the DC is heavier! The axle ratio (4:10) is what you must have.

8. KLLawn

KLLawn LawnSite Member

Hey! This is my first post y'all! I appreciate the excellent info that is posted on Lawnsite. So, you want to pull a trailer with a Toyota? SouthernYankee? After reading all of the other responses, I agree with most of 'em.
    Joplinmower is right about stopping. Man! A large trailer behind a Tacoma is downright illegal! If the trailer starts to control the rig (mentioned by RandyScott) -Wipeout! Forget about the V6. Even though the V6 is solid as a rock ( I have the V6 in my 4Runner, and had it in my old T-100) the perfomance specs were substandard. The tranny is bulletproof but in towing mode it doesn;t EVEN compare to a fullsize 1/2 Ton. My T-100 tranny would HUNT through the gears like crazy, towing my 3,000 lb. trailer. I had a 2000 Tundra, and this is a big plus in the TORQUE category (tranny still hunts a bit , even with the V8). I now have the 2004 Toyota Tundra DOUBLECAB and this is a big plus, because the DC is heavier! The axle ratio (4:10) is what you must have. Buy a Tundra, Sierra, F150, Ram- GO BIG!

9. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I have changed my mind to one of the new tundras

10. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Have one, love it! Had a 2000 tundra single cab-#10425. Needed more inside space for guys and weekend family excursions. I pull a enclosed trailer. Installed a brake system and have had no problems. See a few other guys with T100 or tacomas, but the V8 is the DEAL!