1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toyota Tundra vs Ford F 150

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MTR, Dec 21, 2005.

1. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It is almost bargain time of year, last week of the year! Many of dealers in town are giving special price on their fleet.
    I just want some of input from those who either own new '05 Tundra or '05 F 150. I am looking at Tundra reg cab with manual tran, likewise on F 150, as this will probably be used for mowing and estimate, no sodding job or hardcore mulch hauling.
    Any input and why please fill in. Thanks
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i'd buy a ford. I like chevy, ford and dodge, its just a matter or what is cheapest IMO, and thats what I'll buy, as long as they're compareable.

If you plan on hauling alot, get a 3/4 ton. Otherwise, whatever you get, buy AMERICAN. I could careless if the fords are not made in america, but the profits still come back home to america, and thats what matters.
  3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Toyota has a great truck, but to be honest they are still not on top of their game. Drum brakes in the rear, weak V8 engine, and its more of a car compared to other trucks available. The toy will be more expensive to get parts out of warranty than the Ford.
  4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You are right on the dot about "car-like" feeling riding on the Toy, but as you know they have history of great mileage accumulation, 250,000 on its original easily, but oddly, you don't see many of Toyota used primarily in lawn service, they are more like for college kids, and office workers who like trucks. That is why I love to hear more from others who has some experience with new Tundra lineup. Each year, Toyota is more and more trying to break in to or cornering truck market. As for Ford, I know how it is cause my current one is 94' 150.
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'm actully looking at buying a tundra later on, maybe if they beef up the v8 some, and put a good bit of power in it, like around the 290-350 mark, I'd be interested in that motor.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i boughtr a new striped down tundra in 2003. to replace mt 83 toyota long bed. i cant tell what its like as a work truck yet cause the 83 is still going strong! 14,000 k on the tundra now -no problems ever. the tundra is every inch the truck the big3 are and much more reliable . my v6 gets 19-20 mpg in town. my 1 complaint is the bed is too shallow but i think the newest ones are deeper now. one of my custermers bought a 2004 ford-the rear end has been replaced 3 times under warrenty.
  7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

For realitivly light duty work like your talking abount the Toyota would be the best choice IMO.
  8. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a new F-150 on the fleet and I love it. For a little homeowner unit it has some balls and can move a good amount of snow. The only problem is with a 7' 6" plow the plow frame tends to bottom out on some driveway approaches. One positive is it's good in those half circle drives or really any drive for that fact. It's always good to have a smaller truck like that in the fleet for tight areas like that. Plus in hauls the New Holand LS195 with some attachments real good. Just a little sag while I'm looking at the sky when pulling them. :eek: I like it but make sure thats what you want and not something bigger and stronger.:cool:
  9. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

I bought a new F150 this summer. I have a X4 with a 5.4 engine and a 3.73 rear end. A very nice truck. The only problem is the fuel economy. My old 2001 F150 got about 15.5 on the road and my new truck about 14. Both had the 5.4 engine and 4 wheel drive. The old truck had a 3.55 rear end. A friend has a 2004 4 X4 F150 with the same engine and the 3.55 rear end. We went on a hunting trip this fall and he beat me a bit over 1.5 mile per gallon. I pull my trailer often so I bought the full size truck. You may want to think about the economy if you going to be using it for primarily transportation. Our small town has a Chevy and a Ford dealer. I have tried to buy local from the guy with the sharpest pencil. Just have not learned to like the front of the Chevy's since the last body change. I think poor engineering and quality have come home to roost for them. After looking at some Toyota and Nissan trucks I may have to think hard next time. They include a lot of little extras Ford and Chevy charge for. it is getting real difficult to define an import any more. Does concern me that GM is closing plants about as fast as Honda and Toyota can build them.
  10. capitallandscapes

capitallandscapes LawnSite Member

As far as half tons go, Tundra is the most reliable. I have had an F-150 and it was always something that needed fixed. I had a 1998 chevy and it was even worse. Now my personal truck is a 2002 Tundra w/ 126K on it and besides regular maint. it has never needed anything. That is saying a lot because I drive a lot and am hard on trucks.