trac vac 470 as a truck loader?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Nov 15, 2005.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an old trac vac model 470 lying around and I was wondering if it would be power full enough to use a s truck loader? the engine is a 6 Hp kohler.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i'm sure you could do it, I don't think it would be efficient though.

3. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

too small, i had a little wonder 8hp vac and that was just a waste of time and forget about wet leaves

4. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

All I would use it for is one cleanup a year for maybe an hour or two. its either that or sell it off with the rest of its parts.

BTW how much is an old (maybe 10 years) electric start 48" lesco (loud knocking engine, but no performance loss) with cloth bagger attachment and trac vac 470 setup worth?

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 4 Trac Vac Model 470 leaf collection systems. Under normal conditions, they're great units.

But, to be honest with you, sometimes it is all they can do to get leaves up into the barrel (especially if they are wet and matted down). To get the same ones up into a leaf box on a trailer or truck I think would be next to impossible with that setup. There is just not enough horsepower IMO.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

It will work, that's what I use as my truck loader it's about 8hp though. We have curb side pick up so I only need a loader on a couple of jobs. It will just be slower and clog allittle easier than a big 16 hp model. It may be slower but it will get you done much much sooner than doing it another way. Just keep it balls to the wall wide open all the time