Trac-Vac 652?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use a Trac-Vac model 652 for a ZTR machine?

I'm looking at getting a ZTR (Maybe) and considering my leaf cleanup choices.

Still considering the benefits of a WB like a TTHP with a Trac-Vac 470 vs a ZTR with a trac-vac or Exmarks own ultra-vac...

How would those three price options price out?

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have the single bucket Trac-Vac..........model 450 sumthin, maybe 452. It's been a very good investment for me and works well.
  3. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have any history using a 652 trac-vac?

I'm looking at purchasing one but would like to hear some feedback from some owners. How well does it follow a ZTR?

4. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I have used the Trac-Vac 652 for 3 seasons and it does a great job with leaves.You will lose the Zero turn ability with this unit.You can do a Z-turn but it tears the lawn.The biggest problem I've had is the height of the 652 under low limbs.The only other complaint is the bonnets(filters?) don't last very long.I've started making my own out of aluminum window screen.By the way it has a 5hp B&S engine.I hope this helps,Richard
  5. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

What size deck do you have? Do you ever have problems with it clogging? Does it mulch and pack the leaves well? I was thinking about putting liners in the bins to package the leave in trash bags and charge by the amount of leaves collected. Something like regular mowing cost plus $5 per bag.

What do you think?
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

This summer i ran one for a day when we were doing storm cleanup. I am notsure what model exactly it was but it was pulled behind a exmark 27/60. Worked well...ground was spotless. BUT-you cant really just make like your still mowing when you turn. You have to turn very easy and cant just whip around....because you will leave torn turf.

Otherwise...from what I saw it was a great unit.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 6 of the 470 Trac Vacs for our WB's (52 and 61 inch Ferris's) Been using them for both spring and fall clean ups now for about 7 or 8 years. We like them alot.
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Doogieh, have you given any thought to the Cyclone Rake? I ordered the free video, and was pretty impressed by it.

It mounts rigid, so you would still have zero turn capability. It holds A LOT! Easy dumping rather then lifting out and emptying cans/bins. Fold away easily for storage, and reasonably priced compared to some of the other units out there.

Incase you need the link:
  9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine is 3 years old and better than new!!!

I have had a professional welder fix all the weak points.

The machine cleans spotlessly. I have a 6 HP Kohler command on mine...its a NICE little motor. Kohlers just run so stong and consitently, and always start compared to Briggs.

The frame and steering linkage had a lot of weak points, as well as the tube support arm. We had everything re-welded, reinforced, and gusseted.

The 652 is great on mid-sized yards. It's too big for tiny yards, and doesn't hold enough bushels for big yards.

Other problem, the bonnets, as YLC1 mentioned, is the bonnets wear out. They are expensive at $17 each. The whole machine is expensive, I think mine was $2100 or so with tax.

10. thisismurph

thisismurph LawnSite Member

PECO lawn vac is the way to go