1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trac Vac Aerator Front mount for Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Does anyone have any experience or input on the Trac Vac Aerator that mounts on the front of a Z? Does it penetrate deep enough, does it allow for you to make turns with it in the ground? How sharp, and what is the quality like?

Thanks a bunch
  2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to know also and how much it costs.

Thank you.
  3. Precision Care

Precision Care LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I haave one. I paid 1200. for mine I think. NO you can't turn with it down. It works great.
  4. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

You have the Trac Vac front mount aerator and paid $1200.00 for it?

OK, what width unit did you get and (since you say you can't turn with it down) how does the motor work for raising and lowering the aerator for transport and turning?

Is it very fast going up and down?

If it uses the weight of the ZTR for plugging does the electric motor seem powerful enough to raise the front wheels of the ZTR off of the ground when you lower the plugger into the ground or does it seem overworked?

Your overall impression of the Trac Vac front mount aerator.

Thank you much.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

From what I've seen of them, they don't have a power lift they use a manual lever. They don't work the same as the Gator by lifting the whole machine up. They just ride in front of the machine, and use use partial forward force of the machine to help penetrate the ground - much the sam as the JRCO Hooker aerator does.
  6. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I have seen one on a showroom floor, and it will defineately lift the front end of a big Z. It uses a type of worm gear which cycles slowly, like 5 seconds up or down.

I would like to know how fast you can safely drive, and if it will penetrate in hard clay. It will not do me any good if it will not penetrate clay.

Please do share overall impressions of the unit.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Jay, you must be talking about the Gator, right? I didn't se anything like that on all the pictures and info on the Trac vac. They say nothing of a lift, nor do they ever show a deck up in the air.
  8. Shady Brook

from Indiana

The below is from the Trac Vac website. It has a piture there as well.

Trac-Vac Front Mount Core Plug Aerators

Normal soil compaction discourages your grass from getting all the life-giving oxygen, water and nutrients needed for the best of lawns. The Core Plug Aerator will remove small plugs (cores) from the turf, relieving soil compaction. Shallow aeration will route the air, water and nutrients for best root development. Periodic aeration will even enhance the breakdown of thatch.

The aerator easily front mounts to most full size zero turn mowers with a tractor specific hitch mechanism. The unit is designed for quick and easy shallow core aeration, using the weight of the tractor to penetrate the ground. The aerator is electrically actuated with an easy switch that mounts onto the control arms, you never have to remove your hands from the controls of your mower.

Features of Trac-Vac Front Mount Core Plug Aerators

* 32" and 48" widths available

* 12V electromechanical linear actuator

* easy flip up position for transport or trailering

* quick detach feature allows removal by pulling 2 pins and the actuator plug

* fully welded 3/16" angle iron construction

* bronze bushings with grease fittings

* independent core tine cluster rotation

* 5/8" tines made of heat treated steel

* penetrates up to 2 1/2"

* 16" wide frame holds standard blocks if extra weight needed

Trac-Vac Model FM358 shown above

Model FM352 Model FM358
    Frame Welded Steel Welded Steel
    Length of Frame 32" 48"
    Width of Frame 16" 16"
    Tine Tube 32" 48"
    Tine Length 4 3/4" 4 3/4"
    Tine Diameter 5/8" 5/8"
    Tines 32 points 48 points
    Tines Offset 4" 4"
    Tine Material Heat Treated Steel Heat Treated Steel
    Weight 150 lbs 180 lbs
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a used Steiner 4x4 articulating tractor and mounted a cheap agri fab aerator onto the front. It has down pressure so I can pull a plug in any soil. I have now bought a commercial golf course aerator that punches holes on 4" centers that I will mount onto it this winter. Total for this machine was about Can$2500 I have already made a bunch of other attachments for it. 6" magnet for nails, 6' bristle broom, aerator, trailer mover hitch, forks, jack, plough for pulling wire in underground, 4' blade and many more to come. I now have two of these tractor and just tonight finished putting a peco vac system on one.