trac-vac on walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ScotLawn, Nov 19, 2002.

1. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used a trac-vac on a walkbehind before. I'm looking for some real world experience and thoughts on this unit before I decide if $1600 is worth it for larger bagging on my 48" metro.

Scot

2. SCOT

We had one on a scag hydro they are great for leaves.
    But i want to warn you its hard to see over the barrel.
    Once you get use to it you kinda learn how to bob and weave to see around the barrel.

What we always did was have 6 or 8 barrels along one fill up with leaves grab another real quick .

When that barrel gets full it weights down the mower deck to.

3. ScotLawn

does it throw the mower off balance with the extra weight on the front on hills?

And do you think it's worth the 1600 price tag.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Mine was like $1400 and I got it with the good 6HP Kohler motor. First I think you need to find another dealer.

I really like mine.

5. ScotLawn

i got the quote with the 5.5 honda which adds some to the price. total with tax was $1627. Trust me if i can get it cheaper i will but right now i'm weighing out if it's worth the money.

Scot

6. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I have one on my 44" toro and like it. Some weight on the front is nice espically if you have a velke. You can put bags in the can but you need 55 gal. bads, no smaller. Use mucling blades!! this helps keep cloging to a min. and loads more into the barrel. Go over the area fisrt with the mower up high and then lower the deck and go over it again. Also the right side (the side the motor/ blower mounts to) will take more wear on the gear/ hydro drive because of the extra weight. hope this helps.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 4 of them on our Ferris 52's and 61's. Been using them for 7 or 8 years now. We love 'em.:D

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Scot
    get the jrco Transport tray And tub Also get one of the 10 bushel Side bagger. I Have all the reasons not to get the Vac For the walk Behined But don't have the time. i'll get You the number for the bagger.
    John
    Oh thats 2 bushels more For about half the price!

9. ScotLawn

please do John. Thanks for the info.

Scot

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Here i Got off My Butt
    704-359-0403 they are in North carolina It's john Gibson Design. It all Aluminum In two parts. on page 10 of sept turf.
    I Have to call My self for price. I do have trac's for my Walks But i Use the transporter now.
    john