Trac vac or factory vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Sep 10, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys prefer trac vac or the spindle driven grass vacs. Thanks

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think it greatly depends on how you can dump it. Trac vacs (other then the barrel type) generally dump on the ground, whereas many mowers now have the catchers that are a bag style that you can dump in a truck.

What brand of ztr do you have? Are you looking to dump on the ground or in a truck?

Personally I would go with a spindle driven one no matter what. Having that extra engine on there to power the blower would have to be a royal PITA.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Had some sort of fuel blockage this week but needed to get my list done before I could bring my mower to the dealer. She was bogging down something awful had I had a spindle vac I would have been screwed I would not have had enough power to keep my cripple going. That extra motor can come in real handy sometimes.

4. The landscaper

I would be dumping in the truck

5. The landscaper

I was curious what people thought about having to worry about that extra motor back there. concerned me a bit as well, but also, could be a great benefit to take a bit of the mower.

6. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used a trac vac for two years worth of cleanups, it dumps into a barrel mounted on the mower, problem is I need to turn off the vac every time I want to empty the barrel or I get a face full of chopped leaves, this makes for a very worn out pull starter and right arm.
    This year I am going to mount the vac on my truck and use tarps to bring leaves to the truck. Maybe I'm working backward in progression but anything has to be easier than the way I've been doing it.