Trac vac, questions the good and bad!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T.E., Dec 11, 2003.

1. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I need some help, I found after the season is almost over. a trac vac with the large pull behind cart in very good shape for $475.00 I checked it all out, and want to buy it, here are my concerns.

1. How good are they for leaves in the spring?

2. What are some tricks to dumping them? I have a 12 ft. trailer can't put many leaves on the trailer if i've got the mower and vac on it! (how do you get the debris in the truck bed?)

3. What are some of the comparisons to a billy goat in terms of how fast you can get the job done? ( what I mean is with the billy goat I have to blow all of the leaves to the curb. With the wind that we have here that is sometimes almost impossible. Sometimes I have to blow the same area several times and the wind still seems to blow the leaves back on the yard. This is why I have thought that a trac vac would work for me better than a billy goat.)

4. This has a five horse motor do these clog up very much?

Thanks any help is appreciated Tony

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Any help will be much appreciated. :)

3. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

I have never used a trac vac before but the idea is a good one. I'm going to buy a cyclone rake next year which is very similar to the trac vac.

How many properties are you going to do leaves on?

If your not doing very many build sides for your trailer, fill it up and dump it, and come back for your equiptment (have one of your workers stay behind and watch your equipment). That way you can back your trac vac right on the trailer and dump it.

If your doing lots of lawns buy a leaf loader and treat the trac vac just like your blower. Just use it to bring the leaves to the road.

I agree with you about being a lot more practical when the wind is really blowing.

If it is in good condition 475 sounds like a good price. If I were you though I would try for a little less because it is the end of the year.

Good luck!!!