1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trac vac trailer on a 36" metro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lech615, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

Do you think it would be posible to attach a trac vac trailer system to a 36' exmark wb?

i know there is a question as to where you would stand or fit, but I was thinking that maybe a seat could be made, somewhere

any ideas guys, you always seem to be pretty creative here?:dizzy:
  2. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen a walk behind pull a small trailer. It was at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. There was a seat on the front of it for the person to sit then it had a few feet of bed space.
    I imagine it was used for pruning and other clean-up activities. I can't remember how it attached, but with the 36" you will have to put some weight on the front end or make it so your weight is over the wheels of the trailer.

You could try this instead.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Sounds like it would work Ok. Put a seat on there (on top of the engine?) and alittle weight on front. Those trailers get really heavy with engine, operator and full of leaves or half of grass and it will get heavier than the w/b possibly. I'd say it is worth a try especially if you already have the vac trailer. Get a peice of 2"x2" angle iron about 1/8" or 3/16" thick and drill two holes in it to bolt to the back of the mower and then drill a 1/2" hole in it for a hitch pin for the trailer.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

How do you plan to back up with the metro? If it was a hydro you would be ok, but I don't see it with the metro. I have the 36" metro.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Mow so as not to require reverse. It is like backing up a semi trailer anyway, big and hard to see around. I used this for weeks until I got smart and put it on casters. Much better. I made it, no blower or engine required, worked great.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Backing up, not a problem now. Goes around things very well also. Not as good on hills it will make the back of the rider slide downhill when it's half full of leaves going across a hill. You can't have something like this on casters for a belt drive w/b of course.
    Oh I did see that Protero makes a very nice looking bagging unit for walk behinds. It has hoppers on top of the deck and a deck driven blower. Looks nice. Here is their website. http://www.proteroinc.com/ it isn't on there, but I saw it in the new Turf Magazine. I'd look into that first if I were you. Or the 470 Trac Vac similar idea but Trac Vac has a engine for it and looks alittle tall. I like the looks of the Protero better. JMO,

7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Trac-Vac does make a system for walkbehind that goes in front.

Im a firm beliver in keeping things simple and trying to jerry-rig something that really wasnt intended to be done is just wasting time to me. theres to many problems that arise that could potential stall productivity and thats something that in this fast paced business i just cant afford. maybe if you are doing low-profile jobs that would be five, but for high profile jobs i would just assume pay the extra money to get something right so that its not going to look getto
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't talking about you for backing up. I'm talking about a sit down sulky with trailer behind a belt drive mower.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

BBR2500, the Trac Vac 470 is the top of deck mounted one for walk behinds.
    Hoss, I know. My point was that with a big trailer it is hard enough to back up due to visibility so that you will plan around not backing up with one. You get used to it and only going forward.
    Lech615, althought it would work I'd say try for the Protero or Trac Vac. Saw the Protero in the new products section of the new Turf mag where they have walk behinds and accessories.
  10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for it. Just put a longer toung on the trailer and walk; one leg on each side.

Or get a valke and attach the trailer to it.