1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trac Vac & truck leaf loaders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jusmowin, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I am planning to invest in 2 trac vacs and a truck leaf loader for next year, but am interrested if this is a good combo fo leaf removal and leaf clean ups. Most of my yards are 15000sqft or larger with large gated back yards, so its not like i could just blow the leaves from the back to the front . So if anyone uses trac vacs or any type truck leaf loader(Billy goat,Parker ect.) please let me know what you think of this type of leaf removal systems, and are they worth the money?

Thanks for the help
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I was out jusmowin some leaves today, usin' my Trac-Vac to suck em' up! I am so proud of my investment, it has saved me countless hours. I use a combination, mulch with the Chopper and Vac with the Trac if the leaves are real heavy, and they were today buddy!!!!!!!!! I am a satisfied customer, using it on a 48" Scag Super Z. I don't dread the fall anymore! I ain't got no truck loader job, can't see the need. Spend the money on another mower..................or something.

3. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I love my Billygoat truck loader. It replaced 3 men and does not complain.
  4. Tomslawncare1

Tomslawncare1 LawnSite Member

Jusmowin, I started with an 8hp Billygoat tailgate loader. It worked good but clogged alot. I gave it away, after I made my money back on it, and borrowed a friends 11hp Billygoat tailgate loader. That got clogged. Glad I didn't buy one of them. I also got tired of kicking out the leaves from my pick up truck so I bought a 2 wheel drive dump truck and also bought a brand new 16hp Giant Vac hitch mounted (swing away) leaf loader. I can do vac jobs by myself and charge $75.00 a load. 1 load minimum. Even if it takes only 15 minutes to suck up a pile of leaves I charge 1 load. I tell customers that I can take the average sized lawn (150 X 150)in one load. If they pile them up I should be out of there in under 1 hour. I try to allow myself 15 min to dump the load. My point is if I can do 2 or 3 small jobs at 75 a pop and only dump once, thats how you make pretty good money. Bottom line if you have alot of clean ups that you need to take away the leaves then you need some type of loader. Or alot of labor to handle those leaves.
  5. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I have a 16hp Billy Goat loader. It is the best way we have found to do heavy clean ups. We use the trac vacs mostly for the finish work.
  6. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

We have trac-vacs on all our ZTR's. They are well worth their money.. I would get the trac-vac that uses two of the garbage cans instead of one, so it will hold more which equals less trips to the street.
  7. ups

ups LawnSite Member

what were the results on what you bought? im looking to invest for the fall and need to know the best system to put on a 3-4 yd dump.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Did you look at the date????

9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Save your money and time. Put MEG MO blades on your mowers. Only will get 10 gal leaves per yard.
  10. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

LoL at least we know he did a search....