Trac vac vs. Mulching?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ranger520, Oct 5, 2002.

1. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

I have some fall clean ups to do and everyone tells me that take my exmark and just mulch them into oblivian. One problem seems to be that the turf at most one time cleanup sites is not thick enough or am I wrong about this. This is my first year doing fall clean ups. I hae been looking at a trac vac 470 for my 36 metro to dothe job otherwise. Comments please and thanks for them.

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

From what I understand, the 470 runs about 1600-1800 dollars.
    I would run double Gators or a combo of regular lifts and Gators on top and run it over a few times first, then throw the catcher on to pick it up before I would spend that much for a blower and a 55 gal garbage can. Plus, from what I hear they are over the deck mounted which would decrease visability and they throw up a lot of dust, especially with leaves.
    As to the mulching capabilities of an Exmark ... I have a 36 Metro also ... I think it does great for most of the season for jsut grass, but have not felt that its performance on leaves or for doing clean-ups and mulching is as good.
    Honestly, I would not necessarily fualt the machine or the design, because I have heard many other here say that is works great foir them. I think it has more to do with what type of grasses you are trying to mulch into and what height those greasses have been being cut at during the season. For example, I think it would be easier to mulch leaves into a tall fescue, bermuda, even rye being cut at 3 1/2 inches than a Blue being cut at 2 1/2-3 ... follow me on this??

3. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

My problem lies in most home owners seem to cut there grass down to about 1 1/2 inches and that leaves no where for the leaves to go as you try to mulch them. I easily have enouhgh work to justifie the cost of the vac. If i paid for it this season, spring cleanup would be pure profit.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We run Trac Vac 470's on all our Ferris WB's. Try this...

Run threw the leaves twice with Gator Blades mulching them up with the discharge boot off(or use a bungie cord to hold it in the "up" position). Then run through them one more time with the vac running too this time. Now they have been chopped up 3 times total.

The lawn will be clean as a whistle...trust me.:D We have been doing this way for bout 4 or 5 years now and it works!