Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpudsM15, Sep 4, 2003.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody use the trac-vacs for their walkbehinds? How well can you see over the can????

I was thinking of making my trailer into a leaf box but decided to stick to bagging it by hand....
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 4 of the Trac Vac 470 models. Have used them for years now and like them a lot. Unless you're a midget, you can see fine over the can (44 gallon).

Only downfall to them is the dust that vents out the top when doing leaves can come back into your face sometimes. Other than that, they do a nice job for Spring and Fall cleanups.

BTW, I am not far from you and if you need a demo, send me a pm or email
  3. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

We have 2 470s. You can't see over it, you kinda look around it. Once you get used to it, its not that bad.

I agree with rodfather about the dust. It can get terrible. If you have any dusty properties, I would suggest picking up some masks.
  4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a pic?

What if you changed from the upright cans to one of the big rubbermaid horizontal storage boxes or something? then they would work for hobbits too:D
  5. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey rodfather, is useing a trac-vac more effective/productive- than useing a blower and then bagging it?
  6. rjmj

rjmj LawnSite Member
    from mn

where is the engine mounted on the 470's ? if you have any pics please post them
  7. rodfather

All jobs are different. On some of them, we will mulch the leaves up some to condense the material before vacing them up. Some we just blow into the woods. It all depends on the conditions (are they wet and heavy, what kind of leaves are they, etc.)
  8. rodfather

It's mounted on the right side of the machine, down about half way to the ground for easy startup and shutdown. Ours are B/S 5 and 6 hp pull start models. They will run about 1 1/2 hour on a tank of fuel.
  9. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

how much does that setup run??? how long does it take to put on and take off??
  10. rodfather

I think they run about $1500 and take about 5 minutes or so to put together. A couple of clevis pins and a screwdriver is all you need.