1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

track loader questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by treemover, Sep 5, 2008.

1. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for a small track loader for fine grade and general landscaping. I have three in mind case 420, tak tl130 or cat 247 b series II. Anybody have any experience on any of these machines? Any help would be appreciated.

2. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure Bobcat Ron will be happy to comment once he sees this thread.
    He has a CAT 247B series II and I know he loves it.

3. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard Deere is coming out with a radial lift ctl based off their 315 skid steer later this year. That wont be too big, sounds like it would be in the size class you are looking at, maybe it would fit your needs.

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the 130 is an absolute amazing machine...i haven't run it a whole lot in the past year because i have been in the "real" machines so to speak, but with what you are looking for the TK will surpass all your needs....we looked at the CATS when we went to buy but they are a lot more expensive and the dealer support (in this area) isn't so great...and we own a few other CAT machines as well....anyway...demo them all but pound for pound i think the TK will impress you a lot

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I have ran a case 420 and it was a 2 series so it was a little under powered but the newest series, 3 series, they added 20 horse to it so I am sure it is a lot better machine.. Also the visibility out of the rear and behind the tracks was left a little to be desired.. The visibility behind the tracks is understandable being that the way it is built.. and the visibility out of the rear isnt great but you can get by.. Over all it was really easy to grade with compared to hand and foot controls and I picked up the H controls real fast.

6. jmf

jmf LawnSite Member
    from ny

Put ASV on your list, especially if you operate what you own.

jmf

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The Takeuchi machines are wonderful and the the new 2 series has the hyd quick attach available.
    Here they can be purchased in the low 30k range with an open cab so it is hard too get a machine any cheaper.

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The Cat will be the cheapest on fuel in all the bunch, everyone laughed at me when they saw the size of my machine, but now I am laughing when I see my monthly fuel bill.

9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I am not sure I will agree with that comment.
    My TL 140 is wonderful on fuel.
    The TL 130 is also a sipper as well.
    They may not be as good as your Cat but they are well below average fuel usage wise.

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

It's all relevant to fuel tank size, 17 gallons in my Cat versus 28 gallons in the Bobcat's.