Track machines vs. Skid steer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PRapoza451, Aug 10, 2001.

1. PRapoza451

PRapoza451 LawnSite Member

I'm looking into Bobcat T190's and T200's as well as ASV 2810, 4800 vs. skid steers. Anyone out there have both or have the track machines? What do you think about the track machines, are they worth it?

2. MAPLESHADE

MAPLESHADE LawnSite Member

I have run a t190 for a few days. It is a very nice machine. Of course I am sure you have seen the price. I had a ASV PosiTrak a couple of years ago. I sold it after two months. It did not have any power. Good concept, but not enough engine. A friend of mine that runs a nursery used one to dig trees and bent the undercarriage digging the first tree. To me the T190 is a far better machine that the ASV. They work great on existing lawns. I am planning on buying a T200 in the spring. Let me know if you want any more info.

Bart

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what kind of work you're doing to decide whether to get a skid steer or tracked machine.

Tracked machine

Pros: PSI is much less for soft terrain, sand, lawn, mud, etc. More traction as well on sand and mud. Can keep you from getting stuck. Also provides more traction for those tough pushing, pulling jobs such as major excavating.

Cons:When turning tightly on lawns, they can be torn up pretty badly. Tracks can be expensive to replace. When you throw a track off the carriage, that can be costly too.

Wheeled machine

Pros:The 773 (T190 counterpart) is lighter compared to the T190. The 773 is probably cheaper?

Cons: Not as much traction. PSI is increased.

It all depends on what kind of work you are doing. If you are doing steep slope work and lots of serious excavation, as well as mud bogs and sand, I'd say go for tracks. If not, well, stick with wheels. The tracked machines are more expensive to fix the tracks and are probably more expensive when you buy. Hope this helps!

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

As long as you leave the track machines on the dirt they are great, you start running them on pavement plan on replacing tracks, Big $$$, on dirt plan on getting 1500 to 2500 hours out of a set of tracks, pavement you might get 1000 hrs. As for the ASV for get it, loader arms weak, the larger 4800 has great power but the controls could be better, look for Cat to improve the design.

5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

seen the tracks on the bobcat 864 become pulverized after one day of work........was a new construction site.....lots of shot rock on the ground.........destroyed the tracks in NO time.

Price for new tracks........$4000.00+. Can't just replace one either, if one track goes bad, you have to replace both or the machine handles like an AMC Pacer.

As for advantages, I will say the track machines are Unbeatable on steep slopes. I've seen them go up hills, turn on hills, dump on hills that no other machine can. They are unbelievable when it comes to stability.

As for lawn damage, I say that they are not that far ahead of a wheeled machine. A lot of it has to do with the operator, ground conditions, access, etc. Ya, they have less ground pressure and tread lighter, but they still leave ruts.

steveair

6. r_rivera7272

r_rivera7272 LawnSite Member

Skid steer with tracks. Best of both worlds for less money than a track loader. McLaren Ind. offers OTT tracks with rubber pads which I own. 900 hours on pads and still going strong. It took me about an hour and a half to put them on in the beginning but now it'll take 30 min to put them on, 10 min to get them off.