track system-ctl

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by allinearth, Sep 25, 2005.

1. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I am in he market for a track skid loader. looked at a Cat and ASV. Cat dealer said loegering (sp?) vts tracks would be better because of higher resale on skid loader than track machine. Problem is of course it would cost more. Wondering if anyone has experience with vts or has many hours on a track machine. I would like to know about operation costs over skid steer. Would like to use the machine for sod installation (big rolls) and fine grading. Thanks!

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If I had a choice I'd go with a dedicated track machine. The cost is the same and there's no warranty issues that could be voided through Cat, if there were any issues if you put a VTS system on a wheeled machine.

3. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

If you spend the 15k to add the VTS to a skid steer, you have lost any resale value advantage you would have gained by going to a skid steer over a MTL.

If you need a track type machine for lower psi and better productivity and jobsite accessability, my advise would be to buy a dedicated machine. If you already have a skid steer, and would like the added versatility, then putting a vts system makes sense (if you don't need the additional machine).

4. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

If I were to sell the skid steer the vts tracks could be taken off and switched to the new machine. Salesman also said vts replacement tracks were also $3k (something like that) cheaper to replace. CAT unit I demoed was a rental that had been run in rock, tracks did not look good with only 400 hrs. Kind of worried me even though I will be in mostly dirt.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well regardless of which track system, dedicated or VTS, it's going to cost relatively the same to replace either of them, so I don't see how that would be an argument to go with VTS. I don't know how many hours you can expect out of a VTS system, but if you run a skid steer to 2,000 hours or so and then trade, I don't know how fresh the VTS would be going on to a new machine.

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

No matter where you run an MTL, in a relatively short time the tracks will start to look like crap. We run rock and DG all the time. Ugly tracks will still work for 1500-2000 hours so long as you provide proper maintenance, don't turn cookie doughnuts, use a three point turn method, and basically, use your head.

The incorporation of steel and rubber in an CTL application will self destruct regradless of how you care for the machine. The vulcanized rubber gets hot from running too fast, then begins to implode and separate usually before 1000 hours.

You also need to add about $4.00 more for each hour you run the machine to recover the obnoxious costs of the tracks. Given the two, wheels or tracks, we could not work where we do with a wheeled machine. So, tracks it is.