tracked out lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stringblade, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

I just received word today from one of my employees today That one of the lawns that we cut last week has horrible damage from the mower wheels every track is completely dead! I am using a very small 44' z master mower and alternating the pattern every week? I have not heard the complaint yet from the customer, And hoping that the lawn will spring back to life in time.

Has anyone had this problem before Ive seen some tracked out lawns before but says it looks like it was sprayed with roundup. I'm hoping the roots are not shot or else I will owe them a new lawn. and thats really going to hurt...:confused:
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I can't believe that just the pressure from the tires would cause the grass to die, as in sprayed with roundup brown and dead....

Did you look at it yourself? Maybe the employee is exaggerating...
  3. Stringblade

from pgh pa

I don't think he is exaggerating he was really worried about this when I spoke to him, I am going to look tomorrow however.
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I am seeing the same thing here. You can tell where the mower has gone or the fertilizer guy has gone with their unit. I say it will bounce back when the rain starts to fall and things green up.

5. gibsonsg311

gibsonsg311 LawnSite Member

Yep, here in Omaha we haven't had rain in a few weeks. Last week my sulky left brown lines where i had made a few turns. I bet it just a little drought that causes it.
  6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I should add that you obviously don't want to get back on the yard with a mower or it could cause some damage. If you have parts that are green then just cut that. Don't go over the brown parts. Pointless to do that anyway.
  7. Optimum Lawn

Optimum Lawn LawnSite Member

Thats normal when the grass is drying down and it's stinkin hot out(burning sun) and you run over will brown out the grass along the wheel tracks. Even happens with my 36" WB (noticed that on a small patch of grass this week from previous weeks cut....grass was drying, sun was HOT and iffy for running over as I knew it could brown out under the wheel pressure...sure enough it did.)
    Wait for the rains to come and it all should "slowly" spring back to life.

Be carefull with dry grass and a burning to stay off the turf.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know where you are in the Pittsburgh area, but I have a few incidents of the tracking from last week's work. As commented here, the turf was very dry when you ran over it. However, your assessment of "dead" is overstated. Apparently, it has gone into dormancy. I have seen it in other years, and the turf will return in due time (cooler weather, moisture). I don't think the T-storm of yesterday will bring it back, however.

I have yet to determine when the problem will happen. The results show a couple of days afterward, but I am unable to tell when I'm working the property. If I knew I was creating a problem, I would stay off. But, I remain confused why it will happen some places, and not others (even at different points along a path).
  9. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

I saw alot of this last year due to a year and a half of dry weather....I only run a 32 but when I kept seeing this in my lawns I ran the 21. Where ever the wheels went the brown lines showed up...keep a eye out on your lawns.
  10. Stringblade

from pgh pa

Here is more to the story, The customer has an Irrigation system however they went on vacation and turned it off. The weather went up to 90 degrees and the lawn was in complete shock so when we cut the grass It killed every single pass where the wheels went even where the push mower was used. My question to you all is do you feel I should be liable for this? or is this the customers doing?