1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trackhoe & pond

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by carcrz, Apr 29, 2008.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a pond on my neighbors property that has been let go over the last 20 years. They pretty much let us do whatever we want out there, so I figure the least I could do is clean up some of the land & make it better.

It is a spring fed pond and is about 80' from one side to the other, but only 5 feet deep starting 10' out from the dam. Since it's so shallow, it has had a tendency to dry up during the summer, but not enough that I could just take my loader out there w/o getting stuck. I figured I could dig a trench from where the spring enters the pond & where the overflow ditch is so that I can work on the rest of the pond w/o it all filling up again.

Since there is still water in it, I was thinking about renting a hoe to dig it out with. Any idea how deep I should dig, and how long it will take? The dirt will be moved onto the other side of the dam. I can either pile it up & use my loader to move it, or just do a 180* & dump it right there when I'm on the dam.

How much does a hoe go for these days? I can't say that I've ever rented one, just used them for other companies that I've worked for over the years. Luckily it's only 10 miles from the rental yard, so hopefully delivery won't be bad.
  2. carcrz

Here's a couple pics

Picture 110.jpg

Picture 111.jpg

Picture 109.jpg
  3. carcrz

When I went out today, I realized that the pond is actually about 150' long & about 60 - 80' across.
  4. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you want to clean up again? Looks kinda nice to me. A 120 goes for over $400 here so anything larger than that....
  5. carcrz

It looks nice right now, because we've had rain. In about 2 months it will be dry since it's so shallow. I'd like to take it down as far as possible along the dam so I can actually do some fishing someday. Right now all it's good for is duck season, hence the concrete blind (neighbor's been in the concrete business for 3 generations now).
  6. carcrz

link from google map - couldn't get the pic to link on here. It's the little pond w/ the long driveway. I don't know his cousin very well, otherwise I'd use the large pond to the East of our house.

7. sunray237

sunray237 LawnSite Member

I know very little of pond building,but if you start digging the bottom out it seems to me you may have a pond that will not hold water again.
    that is without alot of work,I could be wrong,what do you think?
  8. carcrz

you're probably right, but I think I could just set aside the top layer I take off & then put it back down as base layer when I'm all done. I'm sure it's easier said than done.
  9. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say first wait if you can untill it dry's up that would make it easier. Then I would say as long as you stay in a nice clay material and you slope the banks in nicely and don't just dig straight down you should be alright as far as the leaking pond is concerned. You may want to make sure a nice spill way in their in case the overflow pipe were to ever get cloged or just over run by heavy rains. Since you are digging it out maybe install a new overflow pipe in it.
  10. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks like a job I would do. I build and dredge out many ponds a year.
    First thing you need to do is drain the pond using a siphon or a pump to drain the pond. with fuel prices the way they are today, a siphon would be the cheapest as it runs on gravity. once the pond is drained you need to dig a trench from the dam to th head of the pond to divert the water and help drain the area. Then you want to start digging from the center and work your way out moving the mud with you. Our machine (50,000 LBS excavators) go for around $135 an hour.

It will have no effects on how deep you dig it, just remember dirt adds up fast and you will need a place to put it!

good luck and don't get in over your head out in the muck!