1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tracking business/personal mileage

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by captaingreen, Jan 7, 2005.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering, mostly for solo operators how you manage this task. I have a daily production sheet I fill out which has line for begin and end mileage. I record that all week and mostly use it for personal only on the weekends. My wifes car gets most of the personal miles, family trips etc.. Just wondering how you guys keep track of this. :)
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

When working for the schools they had milage tracking books we had to check out and in and they were able to calculate with good accuracy if you were going places you shouldn't. They entered it into a database program after turning it in. The books are available at almost any office supply store. Just make sure you also update the book to a computer often in case it gets lost. In fact I'd suggest buying a couple in case of that. You could then also put the difference between start and stop each day into Excel and auto sum it when you want the mileage total at the end of each month and even track it on a graph like they did to find out what months were peak for future estimating and comparison.If you have a pocket PC that would be even easier. Synch it each day and back up on CD-RW's.
  3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I just use excel every night after i come home. Also, i have Microsoft Streets and Trips, it tells me EXACTLY how many miles from pt A to B. Then i add it up in Excel.