tracking crews/trucks etc...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mow Man, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Mow Man

Mow Man LawnSite Member

I am looking for input on tracking crews. I run 2 crews and feel I am getting beat up on times etc.... I take real good notes on my jobs and feel that I do a pretty good job on bidding, but that all goes out the window if the cutting times and travel times are being manipulated by my crew leaders. 10-15% adds up to a whole lot at the end of the year.

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Lojack! Theirs another one but I forgot what the name was!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. hawkerhino

hawkerhino LawnSite Member

alot of cell providers offer tracking now. just give them a company phone or mount one in the truck and see what happens.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

5. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought this one a week ago:

http://www.amazon.com/LandAirSea-LAS-1505-Tracking-Vehicle-System/dp/B000H9E9UG/ref=pd_cp_e_0

It has been on the truck of one of my crews for a few days now, and I've already seen enough to make up my mind that these guys will be fired... I'm just letting it play out through a full cycle of routes to uncover ALL the details.

Daily McDonalds breakfast, 3 long gas station trips a day, general time wasted driving round and round the route, and to top it off a couple cash jobs. The 3 days it's been on the truck have averaged close to 2 hours a day straight wasted, and that's being conservative... allowing for some gas station time and a bit of a break now and then.

The only drawback to this particular unit is that you do need to recover it and download the data, but I can handle that for $150 and no fees. I've been tucking it inside the front bumper behind the license plate and its signal performance has been outstanding.

6. jntaylor

jntaylor LawnSite Member

How would you know about cash side jobs?

7. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

He would compare the address the crew was at against the addresses of his clients. If the addresses aren't on the list they are doing a side job using his equipment on company time.

8. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh wait until they fill up their gas can and have their GF pick it up. That really steams you!

9. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

RT BARRY: NEXTEL is what we use w/ GPS tracker push to talk...it's spendy per mth, but how much u would save just showing up to a job site they are @.....PRICELESS...they c u...they work harder...they don't c u...they look over their shoulder wondering if u r around the corner...works great for me>>>>bring em pizza on the job sometime,,,that will make em work harder and get u respect

10. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

This exactly! They had a 25 minute stop at a spot where we have no clients, so I drove through that evening and there were 3 different properties that were freshly cut... they didn't do them all, but more than likely did 1 or 2 of them. That was last Thursday, today we'll see if they do it again.

I also had the crews switch routes one day last week before the GPS was on and a neighbor came out to ask the non-regular crew "Can you mow my lawn again? $20 bucks like last time?"