1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tracking Employees with GPS Cell Phone?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tim Wright, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you use the GPS on the cell phone to track their routes, starts and stops?

My phone has GPS but I am clueless.

Thank you,

2. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

My phone also has gps and i am curious . Thanks
  3. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

Do either of you have Nextel/Sprint?
  4. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

Mine is verizon. If no one replies , i will check with verizon when i get a chance.
  5. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have US Celullar. They work off from Verizon towers but are a different company. I have GPS, but do not know how to track phone movement.

6. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

From what I understood from the Nextel dealer, you have to pay a monthly fee to activate a GPS enabled phone. THen you log on to some website, where you can track the phone, if it connected to a sattelite. Seemed to me not soo good, first of all because if the phone was thrown under the seat, it would not be connected. Second, Nextel's service is spotty at best, around here.
  7. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

if you have verizon, you will need to have access to "get it now", from the get it now menu select get going. then pick get new, from the main menu pick "field force manager", from there you can pick info or download the software right onto your phone. you will need to contact verizon to get this set up, and you have to sign some privacy junk because you are tapping your employees gps location. i am not sure but i think that your employees phone has to be paid for on the same bill as yours. there are also other programs in that section that will allow you to track employee timecards from your phone. just so you know while browsing in get it now it does use your regular air time minutes, so try to do this on nights or weekends (i learned the hard way that this counts against your min.) :cry:

if the item in the get it now menu is not displayed, your phone is not capable of using that application

i wouldn't have known all of this if i didn't have to sit in an hour and a half english class every day:sleeping: with nothing to do but play with my cell phone, and browse my varoius landscape equiptment books. inside my text book of course.

any other questions let me know i have an our and a half a day to figure out how to do whatever.
  8. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

not sure about us cellular, sorry
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

There was just someone who posted here about how he caught a crew mowing additional properties(not his accounts) and pocketing the money, and I think he used GPS tracking to catch them. Might be an idea for larger amounts of employees.
  10. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I looked at gps, but I went with the jobclock system, I can track travel time, time on each lawn,ETC.