Tracking on a metro?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by columbiaplower, May 13, 2002.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a used 48in metro (15hp) its a 99' or 00' and it pulls to the left. It has the wingnuts to fix the tracking could you tell me how to fix it? Also could i get a manual through you?
    thanks
    Nick

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Nick,

First if you send me your model number and serial number along with your mailing address we'll have a set of manuals sent out ASAP. Just send the information to terry.eckert@Exmark.com or call me at 800-667-5296.

Tracking. First check the tire pressure. The rear tires should be set at around 12-14 psi according to the manual. After correcting the tire pressure and if the mower is not driving straight on level ground check the tire circumference. The tires when measured all the way around at the center of the tread should be with in 1/2" of each other. The best tool for this is a cloth or flexible tape measure. You can usually get one in the craft or sewing section of a department store. A piece of rope works pretty well in a pinch though or if your concerned about all of your landscape buddies seeing you in the sewing section of your local Goober Mart or other find retailer. To adjust the tire circumference you'll need to air up the smaller tire. If this is a new tire it will stretch and expand over the next couple of weeks. Once it has stabilized you should write down what the correct psi. should be. In my case I scratched it into the engine deck so I would always know what it was supposed to be. The mower will most likely drive straight now on flat ground. If it still pulls slightly or begins to pull more on inclines or under load (such as a riding attachment) you will then need to look at the drive lever adjustments.

The first thing to look for is the pin that holds the drive lever linkage to the drive lever. You want to make sure that the pin is NOT bottoming out in the thumb latch when the drive levers are released. If they are you want to remove the "hairpin" and the clevis pin, slide the clevis pin out and thread the drive linkage rod out so it no longer bottoms out in the thumb latch. You want approximately 1/8" of gap between the pin and the bottom of the thumb latch slot while the drive levers are released. Perform this procedure on both sides and re-install the hardware as it was before you removed it. NOTE: if your machine has a washer on the clevis pin be certain you place it between the thumb latch and the "hairpin". DO NOT place it between the drive lever and the "hairpin". Installing the washer in the wrong location can prevent the drive lever from completely releasing causing you to drive in circles and look silly. If your not sure write down your serial number and review an operators manual in the tech support section of our website or follow this link http://www.exmark.com/Manuals.htm#Metro . You can download the manual from this location if you like. We will still send you one if you prefer.

The wingnuts adjust the brake and will not correct any tracking issues you have. To adjust the brake you want to tighten the wing nut until you reach solid braking tension and still have 1/8" gap between the drive lever and the handle bar grip. With mine I squeeze the brake and tighten the wing nut until it pulls the drive lever 1/8” off the handle bar grip.

If these adjustments don’t correct the problem let me know and we’ll need to look for damage, worn or missing componants.

All of these adjustments are covered in the assembly section or section of the Metro manual. They're pretty basic and once do them there's nothing to it.

Please let me know if you have any questions. If you would like and have a cell phone or a cordless call me at 800-667-5296 and I'll walk you through the adjustments while you perform them on the machine.

Thanks

Terry.