Tracking poly on a remodel?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Mar 31, 2008.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We know we can track poly with our 521.

On our few remodels in the past, we just went down and repaired poly we cut and we created new or added on to existing zones.

Now looking to bid on a couple of remodels that have no buried irrigation cable and need to add zones beyond the rear exisiting yards.

Looking for tips and tricks that might help out. Or do we just repair what we cut. Tracking all the poly could get to be a pita.

Thanks, all,

John

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be thinking it'd be cheaper to pull where no existing is and hand-trench
    across the laterals. You poly guys have all the fun! :dizzy:

3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

When I have landscapers or utilities wanting to trench across a yard, I tell them to not cut the wires, but otherwise, its cheaper for them to cut any poly they come across and have me repair it. As long as they keep both cut ends available, its much cheaper for them to pay for repairs then to have to be hand digging everything.

4. Mike Leary

Sure is fun to clean the lines & install connectors & clean the clogged fittings
    and heads...been there, had rocks get caught in swing joints..not worth it.:hammerhead:

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

When pulling turn your throttle all the way up . When you hit it ,it will cut thru pretty good. If you go thru at low throttle it has a tendancy to drag and rip making repairs a biitch.

6. Mike Leary

The dreaded "drap" could be a problem. :hammerhead:

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Better now dad?

8. ULTRAPOS

ULTRAPOS LawnSite Member

If you have an idea where the pipe is dig it up and send a metal fish tape down the pipe and track the fish tape

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

....and contestant number eight has the correct answer. Do this before the system is opened, so the pipe is dry, so as to not ground out the signal.

10. Mike Leary

:::calls Alan Funt.::::::...contractors would pay big to see this fiasco.