Tracking the economy through high end clients?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dvmcmrhp52, Jul 28, 2006.

1. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Does any one track high end client spending and payment habits to
    get a glimpse at what the future of the economy will look like?

Do high end customers "hold" payment longer in a down turn while paying quickly in a robust environment?

Does the economy churn them, or do they churn the economy?

Obviously once the economic indicators show movement in one direction or the other the spending on "extras" changes with it, but what about regular maintenance? Can a trend be seen in either direction through tracking?

Do they change that movement in monetary terms simply by their mood or
    confidence level or is it too big a marketplace for a small group of people to
    make a difference?

I have an opinion on this but I'd like to hear others first............

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Just My .02

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

About the only thing I have noticed is rich customers are no better than the average hard-working american when it comes to paying :laugh:

It enfuriates me a lot more thou, when I know someone has the money, keeps making me think about how they got that way... Not to say it doesn't burn when a worker stiffs me, but there have been times I let someone off the hook without chasing, thou I can honestly say there is hardly a distinction between rich and poor here, either.

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The beauty of truly high end clients is they are not effected by the economy. If they are late payers they will be late payers good or bad economy. If they are truly high end and not just living large they want extras when they want them. The way to judge the economy is by the posers and regular mow and go clients.

A real good indicator is ask at the nursery if seasonal flower sales are up or down. Also if lime trees are available the economy is generally good, if there are none to be had the economy is bad or was recently bad.

5. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

So in general you don't think the high end clients payment practices change at all to reflect the trends in the economy that may or may not be seen by others?

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Lime trees?
    Help me out with this one..............:confused:

7. Green-Pro

Nope not a bit. That they would have the inside "poop" on an economic barometer and use that to their spending advantage, well I just don't buy that. I will grant you these folks by and large can be sharper than the average tool when gauging the economy. By the sheer educational background they should have an advantage. However that crystal ball just does not exist. Higher end folks can be just as stupid with money as they can seem all knowing. Same can be said for middle class and the working poor.

Dave are you thinking of the commercial where the daughter asks Dad for money to buy jeans? He asks what brand are they? Do all the girls where them? etc. He gets out to an online trading site and viola hes made even more mula LOL! Of course all this takes place in an environment that would lead oneto believe they are upscale profesionals, i.e. high end.

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Naw, not quite the scenario I was thinking but I do have 2 daughters.......................Hmmmm...............:laugh:

9. Green-Pro

LOL! I got four daughters. I would look out of place in those ads though in my hundred year old farmnhouse with my laptop opened askimng the girls for advice. :laugh:

So Dave whats your take on this?

10. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

I have to be at a wedding in 30 minutes, I'll get back to this a little later........
    Thanks.