Tracking Weed Grass Seeds from lawn to lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdvaden, Jul 4, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Quite a few people I do pruning and landscape work for, bring up their lawn conditions and point out weed grasses.

Although weed grass seed can blow into yards in some areas, I find that in dense urban areas, not much moves-in via wind.

I told the people that their weed grass problems can be reduced if they request their mowing companies to wash their equipment between properties.

Its not practical for the mowers, but its truly one of the more professional techniques to protect nice lawns from being infiltrated with weed grass seeds.

Unless every lawn on a route is nearly weed grass free. But that's often not the case.

2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

In theory you are probably right, but if I had to wash my mower after every lawn I would get out of the business. I have never had a complaint about that.

3. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

You could always add a $15 dollar fee per lawn that wants it for equipment sterilization.

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

No one would complain, because its one of the "hidden neccessary evils" of mowing. Most people are unaware of it.

Agreed, it would put a lot of guys out of business if they had to do it. Could you imagine running to the car wash for every account. :dizzy:

The only option would be a "high class" SWAT trailer :) It would carry a washing pit underneath the trailer deck to capture water, plus a pressure washer system. It could be for the upper crust of clientel.

5. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

lets be real. the cost won't be eaten by the mower dude.

the cost will be eaten by the person that mows the lawn.

"Hello maam. our basic lawn mowing is 20 bucks. for 50 bucks we'll mow your lawn weedeat, and wash our mower deck before we mow your lawn to keep other people's clippings off your lawn."

6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you for real...? What about birds, you mentioned wind, rain/sprinkler water and kids playing and transplating different seeds from their clothing. What I would have said was a good healty lawn is the number one biggest preventer of weeds. Now what we do is blow off our mowers after every lawn, thats reasonable. There's no such thing as 100% weed free lawn for most homeowners it would simply cost too much and most arent willing to pay for this type of service.

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Hey fert guys. WASH YOUR SPREADER TIRES. You never know, there could be a weed seed waiting to jump for freedom from behind your tires valve stem.

8. hess

hess LawnSite Member

Put a bag over it might get brid shi? over it. Back to the car wash!!

9. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Or... lets all start wearing hazmat suits, and mow lawns in a giant bubble.

get real, it's like trying to rid your house of germs/bacteria. live with it.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, no matter where you are, stuff BLOWS in.

Yes, lawn guys can do their part to not carry in stuff and contaminate other lawns.

I make it a point to not go from a crap patch to a manicured lawn. Sometimes it's not avoidable, and when it's not I use one mower for one, and another for the other, or I make it a point to give the mower a heavy air and/or scrape blade cleanup before leaving the crappy site.

Here, the same goes for carrying warm/cool season grass seeds or sprigs from one lawn to another. Especially carrying warm season seeds or sprigs to a cool season lawn.