tracking

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Big Lew, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Big Lew

Big Lew LawnSite Member
    from pa

I just bought a used exmark w/b that looks brand new....great price (I think) .....small problem that I hope I can fix...
    The mower does not track straight.....I have to constantly kick it around a little to keep it straight....any ideas on how to fix it?
    Thank you!
    ps...its a 36" fixed deck, non hydro.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Big lew,

The first thing I would look at is tire circumference. You'll want to measure around each tire and "air" up the smaller tire until it is with in 1/2" of the larger one.

The next thing I would look at is the drive belt adjustment. This is a fairly common adjustment if you have a pistol grip machine however we rarely hear it on the ECS. The adjustment should be outlined in the manual. Also look at all the linkages and be sure to grease the drive belt ilder pivot. This can make the mower pull to one side as well. Other things to check would be the front caster pivots and caster tires. I had a unit several years ago that had a bad zerk in the caster pivot which caused the pivot to bind and pull the mower to one side. If you have any questions you can also give me a call at 1-800-667-5296.

Thanks

Terry

3. Big Lew

Big Lew LawnSite Member
    from pa

Thank you Terry. My problem was one where as there was not
    a manual with the mower.....I did find out on this site that I could download a manual (did so just a few hours ago). I'm sure that will be very helpful! Beats ordering one thru the dealer.
    Also......another question....:

The dealer gave me two sets of gator blades...they mulch fine...but I miss the cut that I had on my other mower....is the
    factory blades better than the gator blades? and yes, the gator blades are sharp.

Last but not least...I want to thank you and everyone else on this site for all the posts etc....it's very nice to have this type of backing!
    Sincerely.....Big Lew..........><>

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Big Lew,

Glad you found the manuals!

Gator vs. standard mulching blade. It really depends on what your cutting. Personally I think the standard mulching blade leaves a better cut in most grass conditions. Both perform well in leaves and dry grass but each has unique differences.

Blades are realatively inexpensive for the life you get out of them and if you consider what the mower puts them through. I'd try the standard blades if it were my machine. I ran a 32" metro for several years with the standard mulching blades and mulch kit and loved it.

Thanks

Terry

5. Big Lew

Big Lew LawnSite Member
    from pa

Thank you Terry....I'll order a set.