1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trackless mower - wow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steveair, May 25, 2001.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Had the oppurtunity to demo one of those articulated Trackless municipal machines yesterday.

All I can say is what a machine. If you have ever been thinking about getting one (or should I say could afford one/have a need for one) there is no question on its ability

We took it out in the rain to one of the worst sections on the airfield. Grass was about 12-24 inches tall, very wet, and lots of mud and standing water.

I couldn't believe what this thing could do. With a 110hp cummins diesel, it had the blades on the 14' deck sounding like a departing aircraft.

Not once did I here the engine or the hydro pumps even come close to bogging down. We had some spots where the machine sunk in about 8 inches into mud ruts and it didn't even come close to getting stuck.
    My favorite is we took it into a 'swamp' and starting cutting. The deck was half submerged underwater, and yet, not a single moan from either the hydros or engine.

Unbelievable machine!

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I worked for a dealer once that sold these unit's, they are awesome !!!
    The MT-5 will do anything you want it too, the snow uses are unlimited. And the amount of attachments are unlimited
    Very pricey though, as with anything good, comes a price.
    55,000.00 for the tractor and 8,500.00 for the deck (14ft hydro driven)
    These units are made in Canada, and are made of almost all AMERICAN components, I have been to the factory and met the owner, he is a down to earth hands on owner.
    This guy will not let a machine leave the factory unless it is thouroughly tested. And when they design something new, it does not go to market till he has broke it in testing, and made sure it will hold up.
    Here is the web site link http://www.tracklessvehicles.com/enter.htm
  4. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

If we buy a dozen of em can we gat a better price? Yea, pictures please!
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

7. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I will try and get some pics of what we mowed the other day. I think you will be impressed by the site conditions and the quality of cut that the machine did.

As for price, yes, its up there. I believe we were quoted around 75k for a new machine with all the whistles (14ft deck, AC, heat, etc.)

The machine they brought for a demo was actually 5 years old with about 800 hrs on it. It ran like it was brand new! They wanted to sell the unit, and were talking about 45k for the used machine with the mower deck. Used trackless are very hard to come by. Little has changed over the years with their design either.

I wish you guys could of seen the 'maniac' salesman demo this thing. He put the machine in high range and just stepped on it. Just headed out into the 'unknown', full speed ahead. The machine didn't miss a beat. At some points, when he hit the real wet spots, you could actually see the machine 'fish tail' from going so fast. If this machine can hold up to 800 hrs of this guy driving it, I bet you can go 4000hrs with little or now problems.

After doing that, he got out and I told him that if one of my guys did that to our machine, I would pull them out by their collar and beat their face in. He laughed, and then said 'You should see me in the winter when I demo the snow blower' I can only imagine! He mentioned something about a frozen pile of gravel and someone making a bet with him.........

If you are in the market for a large area mower, I would say check this out first thing. We've demoed some of the larger toro's (455 10 ft, and the 14 ft ) and they are 'toys' compared to this. Plus, the 455 (10ft deck, 55 hp diesel) comes in close to 60k when you put a cab on it, can only be used as a mower. The trackless blows it away.

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Was it Joe from the factory that demo'd this unit for you ?
    He is a cool guy, just ask him about his trips to hooters.....
    Those units are awesome !!